Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52"front/56"rear Conversion Parts List

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, Apr 7, 2005.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Who wants to contribute to one for me? There's lots of bits & peices scattered around the forum, and it's very hard to search for it because the search disallows '52"' and '56"'.

Here's my plan, 52" TC 2" up front:
    I know about 7.25" shackles, but where to you get them? What about bolt sizes & quantities, and other misc. hardware & parts?

And 56" TC 4" and a shackle flip in the rear, and I'm looking at this shackle flip kits. Again, what bolts, shackles, etc and where'd you recommend you get them from?

I've already got the WFO Crossover Steering kit coming in, and already have the front springs and 2wd steering box. I'm looking at having all the rest of the parts in my grubby paws by EOM April.

Hellbent already gave me some ideas (thanks man :waytogo: ), but I want more... I crave information.

Thanks for any and all info.

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

You can make your own front shackle using 2" falt strap, 3/8" thick. Get yourself some extra wide bushings from ORD or make a spacer/use washers to fill the gap. Moving the front spring hangers will require you to use 3/8" bolts or you can drill them out to 7/16" bolts. You will need 12 bolts, 24 flat washers, 12 lock washers, and 12 nuts. If you are moving your shackle mount forward for more droop, use 3/8" bolts. You will need 4 per side so: 8 bolts, 16 flat washers, 8 lock washers, and 8 nuts. Get a new upper bushing kit from ORD. The bolt size is 1/2" but they will be included with the bushings. The lower extra wide bushing from ORD also include the required 9/16" bolt. You will need to drill out your shackles to match accordingly.

With proper placement of the rear shackle hanger, you will have more droop than you can imagine just using the stock shackles. You may want to keep an extra set around though because the stocks ones can get bent up under hard side loads. The bolt size for the spring will depend on the inner bushing sleeve. It will most likely be 9/16". The bolts to mount the flip are 3/8" or you can drill the out a little for a 7/16" bolt. Use what the flip requires. I am not familar with that flip so I don't know. On my homebrewed flip I used 6 bolts per side.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:saweet: >File>Print

Thanks man

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not a big fan of lock washers, better to use all-metal lock nuts.

if it will ever stop raining, I'll finish my 52" spring swap write up and get it posted. It is definitively, comprehensive and will have ALL the info you would ever want to know. ;)

j

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Oh God, That could be November!! ;)

Seriously though, I await your writeup anxiously.

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big fan of breaking the bank on lock nuts but I agree that they are superior. :tongue1:

If you are cheap like me you can get away with locks washers and a dab of red locktite on the bolt after you tighen down the nuts. The locktite will act like a saftey wire. Or you can use saftey wire.

7. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack but add to the discussion - what vehicles do you get the 52"s and 56"s from for this effort. Are some better for this than others? Inquiring minds want to know. Art

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

You can get 52's from the rear of a 1/2 ton or K5, and 56's from a 3/4 or 1 ton I believe.

I'm getting all tuff country springs though.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

52" springs are on the rear of a K5 (73-91) and some 1/2 ton trucks.

56" rear springs are on some 1/2 ton Chevy trucks, 1/2 ton suburbans, most 3/4 and 1 ton chevy trucks. You have to watch out for 63" long springs on some suburbans. There are many different year models to choose from.

I went with '89 K5 52" rear springs for the front and '84 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton springs for the rear. My rear shackle flip came off a 3/4 ton truck.

10. Natedogg

Natedogg Newbie

56" springs up front

do you know if 52s have a different distance from center bolt to front eye, than 56s. i want 56s up front, need to total approx 10" lift. any ideas. :thinking:

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

In the 52's the center pin is drilled in the center of the spring, on the 56's it is off set 4", so you can either mount them backwards and gain 4" of wheel base or but them in normal and gain the 2" of wheelbase that you would with the 52's.

12. Natedogg

Natedogg Newbie

56" springs up front

thanks for the info. i am going to put 56s in front of a 71' truck. stock length springs were way short, installed 8" lift springs for 87' and have 6.5" shackle. approx 10" lift. need to figure out what lift of 56s would put me @ 10" or so. any info :thinking: