Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" front hanger move pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Jan 27, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

did the front 52 inch spring swap a couple days ago. at that time i moved the front hangers forward 4" the shackle angle was crappy, straight down.tonight i finished moving the rear mount forward a couple inches. much better :D i still plan on using 56's that i have for the front. however i wasn't happy with shackle angle with 56's even with just frame weight on springs, so i threw the 52's in! the 56's had the shackle too far back imo. i like the new shackle angle of the 52's but would like the extre flex from the 56's. my plans are to to extend the front frame 4 inches or so and move front hanger forward 2"-3" i plan on using a stout crossmember-winch mount at front of frame anyways so might as well do both. i moved the front spring rear mount forward a couple inches. used the lower front mount hole as a reference. then drilled a new 2" hole for the bushing. welded the cut out part into the old hole. i had to weld up the front hole from the old mount cause it was partially in the new mounting hole so i didn't have a too large of hole. i then drilled 3 new holes for mounting bolts. i upgraded to 1/2" grade 8 bolts throughout. by the way this swap does kind of suck but just grind-drill and it's over soon :D pics

spring hanger move.jpg

spring hanger move2.jpg

spring hanger move3.jpg

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

think i remember someone saying a lil while ago the 56s flex the same as the 52s. i dunno, but just a thought

3. rubbinz raczn

if that is the case that would make things a bunch easier staying with 52's!

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

much better

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

why???
    you dont have to drill a new hole in the frame for the shackle mount w/ the 56s right?

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics of the front hanger?

mine seems to be hanging off the end of the frame

7. rubbinz raczn

when i had the 56's on, i felt the shackle was laid too far back! whiterhyno hasn't had any trouble with his and he didn't move the rears. i felt to make it work i would have had to move front hanger forward more. but i am already at the furthest i can without extending frame. which i may still do it just depends on how the rest of my deadlines go! :D

8. rubbinz raczn

i will post a couple later. i am at work now:mad:

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

52's do not flex as well as 56's do. I helped a buddy put 56's in the back of his K5 inplace of the old 52's. The 56's are WAY more flexy then 52's are.

Harley

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

there is such a thing as "too flexy", IMO. Ive seen some pretty crazy droop out of 52s with them unclamped. Looked like plenty for me, especially in the front end. My big BBCS shocks only have 15" of travel anyway. Anyway, good pics, looks like a good mod for others to copy, me included. You just use a regular metal hole saw for the bushing hole?

anyway, whats the hole-to-hole length on your shackles again? any report on amount of lift with your current set up vs the standard spring lift? (if you had a spring lift on this rig...) I wannt get 5-6" out of my 52s... wondering what you got.

j

11. rubbinz raczn

here is the pic with the front hanger.

Copy of spring swap2 028.jpg

12. rubbinz raczn

yeah the hole saw is just a bi-metal 2" job. used with a low speed 1/2" drill. the shackle are 7.25" hole to hole. got em from whiterhyno, thanks brad! uber stout:D the truck had a 3" tuff country lift with rear blocks. and a heavy rear flatbed. i tore the drivetrain out in one day so no basis for measuring stock vs lift sorry! by the way just so everybody notes it, the pics i have shown are just the mock up pics. just to get the springs etc. bolted up. if you see washers missing or bolts not big enough as with the shackles. once i have the final setup figured out i will use grade 8 bolts throughout, replace stock rubber bushings with poly etc. just want everyone to know pics you see are not final install.:rotfl: