Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" front spring design

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CUCV2, May 5, 2007.

1. CUCV2

CUCV2 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK so I read the sticky with 52" spring swap threads. Very cool and informative. I do have a couple of q's even after that which I either missed or is missing. The rear 52" that gets swapped in is 2.5" wide with a single spring wrap at the mounting points where the stock front is 3" wide with a double spring wrap. This is a truck that I would like to drive on the road as well as off-road and am concerned about the strength of this set-up. This axle has more side to side forces exerted on it because it is in front and I am wondering if this is the reason for the extra width and double wrap. Is there another spring of similar length out there with the double wrap and 3" width? Is this even anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

given the number of people running around with the 52" spring swap, it doesn't seem to be a concern. You can find ford 57" springs from the rear of a f150 that are 3" wide, and will work, but they're not military wrapped either.

3. CUCV2

CUCV2 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks. I was wondering if the Fords were 3" wide. I'd like to find a place that makes some flexy 3" springs with the military wrap. My 52s are pretty worn.

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Not all of the 57's are 3" wide. 2.5" wide versions were used in rangers, and some f150's. other f150's and f250's got the 3" wide, from what I've seen and read.