Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" Front spring Spy pic! *Now updated with shock mounts*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jan 4, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

52\" Front spring Spy pic! *Now updated with shock mounts*

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif No the front shocks arent hooked up, Yes thats a braided Procomp line thats stretched all the way out. and YEs I can go further up the ramp if my parking brake worked.

[​IMG]

*Update* Go to bottom of the page for new pictures.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: 52\" Front spring Spy pic!

Did you keep the overload in or not?

Dan

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Where'd you get your shackles from? I don't have the ability to fab them myself and want to do this same mod to my rig.

I'm thinking a write up is in order here! A lot of questions floating around on this mod right now, the answers are there, but a write up would be sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you keep the overload in or not?

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, overload is still in. Its a poor mans hydraulic bumpstop. I made the shackles out of 2" .375" thick steel. All you need to make them is a chop saw and tne appropriate sized drill bit.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Where'd you get your shackles from? I don't have the ability to fab them myself and want to do this same mod to my rig.

I'm thinking a write up is in order here! A lot of questions floating around on this mod right now, the answers are there, but a write up would be sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the write up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

are they stock springs rear springs? how much lift did they give you up front?

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    are they stock springs rear springs? how much lift did they give you up front?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, stock rear springs. They gave me around 4" of lift. The longer shackle I made gave me another 1" or so. And they will move your front axle forward 2". The stock bumper and tow hooks will NOT work with the extended front hanger, I had to ditch those and made a whole new bumper. Feel free to ask away, I am going to do a writeup after I get everything done and squared away.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is there any way to pull this off without moving your front spring hanger, or will the resulting shackle angle suck so bad it not be worth it?

What tire pressure are you at in that pic?

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

you have to move the hanger one way or another. Unless you want a 2 foot long shackle or the axle moved back 2" i doubt you can do that.

Im at 32 PSI in the tires I think. My low tire pressure warning system (aka: detroit locker) didnt tell me my tires were low.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thanks. Just one more idea to think about as more flex can hardly ever hurt, and I want to ditch my current springs anyway.

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks good...time for some limiting straps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks good...time for some limiting straps!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think the brake line is doing a good job of that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

How did you move the front hangers? Did the move affect the core supports?

4" lift, was this with new or used 52" springs? I've got a set of 52"ers that I was trying to decide what to do with. This looks like a good way to use em and then sell my 4" Rough Country springs.

Definitely do a write up including new shock lengths. Are you gonna use Furd towers for the new shocks?

I assume your sway bar isn't hooked up. Is body roll scary with the 52" and no sway bar?

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well I went and played some more today and I bent my tie rod when I was backing up /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I cant believe how well the truck works now with an ARB, crossover and the front springs. Its VERY hard to get it to pull a tire now.

[​IMG]

K2, If you look at the body mount you will see the spring hanger and a little brace behind hte body mount. You can take the brace and move it to infront of the body mount and also move the spring hanger up. But you will needed to do some custom work to make a bumper work and if you have factory tow hooks you will need to remove a reinforcing plate and the tow hooks. I did not move the body mount at all because I did not want to mess with it since im not in the mood and dont have the time or money to go with a tubular front clip with fiberglass fenders and hood.

For shocks im going to run 14" travel Sway Aways. I know in stock form in the rear the spring are capable of 14" of travel so thats how much I assume I am getting out of the front, if not more. So I would imagine that shocks hoops and some long travel shocks are neccesary. I dont think the 12" travel rancho's are going to cut it and give you the results you want. I bet 14" travel 5100 Bilstiens would work ok though because they will actually be able to control the shock while the rancho's wont.

Body roll doesnt seem too bad, if you do this mod you will have to get rid of the sway bar and go with cross over steering for sure. There is no way in hell the stock draglink length is capable of handling this much travel.

PM me if you want some more pictures, I can FTP them up onto my website so you guys can take a look.

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah the more pictures the better!

That is killer man.

I'm hoping to do this same mod this summer but may have to wait a bit until I can finish the crossover.

I only hope I can get my Burb to flex as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

NICE Flex /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

That is one of the best pics of a Blazer I've seen!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Keep us updated on how it works.

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I got PMed asking to post the other side of the picture. Stupid me didnt take the other side of the picture, but I do have another picture I took today, it is crossed up pretty good, but not maxed out.

[​IMG]

19. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Very impressive, Im looking forward to the write up on this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Does the tire rub against the inner fender well or can you still run it?

20. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I got PMed asking to post the other side of the picture. Stupid me didnt take the other side of the picture, but I do have another picture I took today, it is crossed up pretty good, but not maxed out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is close enough. What are you doing for shocks?? I have the ford mounts and 5012 on mine and I can stuff one side until the shock bottoms out and the other side is almost extended all they way except for maybe an inch and I haven't switched to the 52" springs yet. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif