Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" front spring swap continues...FINISHED!!! WoooHooo!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

52\" front spring swap continues...FINISHED!!! WoooHooo!!!

I relocated the stock rear shackle mount forward abit to help with [darn] poor shackle angles. Fairly easy project- probably an hour per side. I don't think the longer 7" shackles are going to work though. With a jack under the front tire, I could jack it up only a foot or so and the spring bottomed on the frame...ugh. One thing after another. Process of elimination here, hope I get it right soon. I'm just going to re-drill the upper hole in the shackles and do some experimenting. I'll drill holes at 6" and at 5" and see what works best.

Pictures..

Before-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the 3rd pic you can see the spring bottomed on the frame. I'm hoping the shorter shackles will fix this.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 52\" front spring swap continues...Relocated shackle mount.. PICS

the shorter shackles will probably make it worse. the people that have done this i think ran 7.5" shackles with no problems.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So a shorter shackle is going to make it more flexier?

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think micah said his were 7.25" long /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Zeus33rd

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LKHGE:LHFG:"LAKJSF:LAHSFLHOPWINTGAPSF! I DONT WANNA MAKE ANOTHER SET OF SHACKLES!!!!! WAAAAHHHH!!!! [​IMG] Such a pain in the a$$ to make...

Well duh on my part...Shoter shackles certainly would make it worse. Sigh....One thing after another.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could always sell you other shackles for some $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif i plan on this swap and may need some /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tim's are 6" or 7" IIRC. i would think you would need a longer shackle to eliminate the problem of bottoming the eye out on the frame. how is your pinion angle with that shackle?

8. Zeus33rd

Good idea on the selling the old shackles. lol /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Pinion angle? It sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Gonna have to run a tapered zero rate I'm thinkin. I can also get the offset one to move the axle forward another 1.5". This is turning into a larger than expected project. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Joe,

You might want to also get some weight in that front end before you get too "dialed in" on that shackle setup. Right now, it looks like you've got no engine, hood, fenders, radiator, etc. That spring is going to be a LOT flatter with another 800Lbs of extra weight pushing down on it...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Zeus33rd

Well, There won't be any sheetmetal at all on the front. Just the motor/radiator and some tube around it all. I did a bit of weight testing with the tractor a bit ago...Here's some pics of that..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put weight on the frame till the tires on the tractor came off the ground. I doubt that its enough weight, but it kinda gave me an idea. These were with the shackle mount in the stock location of course. Anyone got an idea of what a fully dressed big block weighs?

I'm still in the "research and design" phase of course. Tommorrow will consist of making yet another set of shackles and weight testing and stuff. I want to get this 52" swap stuff totally finished tommorrow. heh, Tired of messin with it. Plus I still need to build mounts for my new to me 2001 Ford Focus seats. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Seems I recall *someone* suggesting you wait before making that second set... but I could be wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[Edit] Sorry, couldn't resist having a little fun with you. Believe me, I know how frustrating doing the same thing for the umpteenth time can be...

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

How far forward did you move that mount in the back? 4" or so?

Oh could you please make the pictures a tad bit smaller so i dont have to s c r o l l so far to read the posts, my laptop's screen only goes to 1024x768

13. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems I recall *someone* suggesting you wait before making that second set... but I could be wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[Edit] Sorry, couldn't resist having a little fun with you. Believe me, I know how frustrating doing the same thing for the umpteenth time can be...

[/ QUOTE ]

S'all good bro. I knew I was takin a chance building those things...And yes, I remember exactly who it was that suggested I settle down and wait.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif No need to apologize. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Anyways, so I guess the question is, what length should I make the next set of shackles? 7.5? 8"? So far I've gone through almost 8' of 2x3/8" flat bar on these damn shackles... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

zcar- I would guess it's about 4" or so. From the center of the large hole to the center of the upper shackle bolt looks to be about 4". Was able to reuse the upper right hand hole from the stock mount as the upper left hand hole in the relocated mount, and redrill the other 3. Make the pictures smaller? Those pictures are all 1024x768. No scrollin for me, hehe, 1280x1024 on a 21" monitor. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Sweet! thanks, I have a new idea brewing in my head. Im positive i will be the first to do it, now I just wonder how much travel I can swing out of it.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Mine are 7.5", but looks like you will need a bit more, maybe 8" or so. But again, I want to caution you to wait till the front is done. You don't need that finished right now, it's good enough to do what you need to the rest of the truck and then, when everything is where it needs to be, put a piece of scrap in there to get your clearance where you want it, and measure hole to hole. This is the best suggestion I can give you... anything else is a guess and you may be building yet another set… Good luck!

16. Zeus33rd

There's nothing I else I can really do to the truck at this point. I'm at a serious low point in the cash flow area right now, (long story) so I have to work on stuff that doesn't require spending money. I took a risk even spending the $25 on the new seats at Pick N' Pull. I can make this all work ahead of time with a bit of planning and testing. Which reminds me...Can ANYONE tell me how much a fully dressed big block weighs? If I can't find out, I'll just drive the tractor up onto the front of the truck to put some weight on there, or maybe I'll figureout a way to get the front of my gramps Powerstroke up there, think that'll be enough weight? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

This webpage says a big block is 685Lbs

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I didn't install 52s, but my shackles are 7" long and had to be so to keep the spring eyes off the frame.

I measured the entire length of the spring supposing it was flattened out by running the tape measure from one eye, under the spring, and to the other eye. I came up with a number, then measured to where the spring would contact the frame under compression.

I then measured from the center of my relocated shackle mount to the point where I thought the spring would contact the frame and came up with a little under 7". I made my shackles 7" long and now there's no way my springs will ever touch the frame.

As you said, the pinion angle sucks. That's why I bought the high angle driveline. I didn't want to run shims and I didn't see the need for tapered zero rates because more caster in a truck this big usually helps anyway.

19. Zeus33rd

Good info there Tim. I guess its time I be a bit more scientific about this and get it done right. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you people an yur fancy tape measures and math /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif