Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" Front Spring Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerguy 90, Aug 11, 2005.

1. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

I just finished reading the how to article on installing 52" front springs, by jekbrown, for the most part it seems easy enough to do, the only question I have is about moving the rear spring mount forward, is it really necessary to do this ?, what would happen if the rear spring mounts were left in the stock location and the front spring mounts were moved forward only ?. is it possible to swap the 52" spring on my blazer with out moving the spring mounts at all ?. If this is a dumb question im sorry, this is my first 4x4 and im still learning about it.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yes you do otherwise your shackle angle would be horrible and it would greatly reduce flex, completly defeating the purpose

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I didn't move my rear hanger and I am happy with it as is. I used a 4 3/4" shackle to keep the spring off the frame, and redrilled the pad on the axle to move another 1" forward. I don't have the flex everone else is getting but I do still get 15" of travel on each corner. The shackle does sit straight up and down, but as soft as the springs are it rides good. I also don't have issues with body roll on the street which I see a lot of people compaining of.

I'm NOT saying this is the right way to do it, I went this way because I am lazy. Also I have a shortened ferd rear drive line up front, it has a longer slip yoke and I use it all + a lot of clearancing on the yokes, With anymore travel I'd need something all together different. Just my $.02

MTMike, Don't understand your post, He is moving the front mount.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Now that I look at it, I don't understand it either

No more posting while tired at 11pm :doah:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you are willing to move the front mount, but don't want to move the rear mount, swap in 56s.

j

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

that would be too much shackle angle, you only move the mount 2.75" for ward when doing 52" swap, so twith 56's the mount yous be comparibly an 1.25" more then when doing a common 52" swap. there would most likely be to much angleand the spring would wrap around. this happened to mtm mike on his rear the first time he did it. same principle.

8. jekbrown

definitely need some long shackles, but it should be doable. I know there are several people running 56s up front here on ck5, have any of them moved their rear mount further back on the frame? I don't know, just asking...

j

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the math says they'd have to, id say at least an 1 1/4"

10. jekbrown

.... are you talking about stock length shackles or something?

j