Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" front springs and swaybar mounting

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by beater_k20, Dec 4, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

52\" front springs and swaybar mounting

anybody got any ideas on how i could go about mounting a swaybar on my truck? my original plan was 6" TC springs up front, but when i decided to go with a 60 instead of the 10 bolt, things went a little crazy. i've heard the 52s arent all that friendly on the street, and a swaybar seems to be the answer to my problems. i'm not wanting a street only rig, but i dont believe in building anything that cant be dual purpose. i've looked into circle track type swaybars, and it lookes like it might work, but i thought i'd try here and see if i could get any other ideas.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 52\" front springs and swaybar mounting

circle track type is what I would go with. Haven't heard anything unfriendly about 52s, in fact I've heard the opposite but I don't have them. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Mounting that type of swaybar I don't know how you'd go about it. Have to think that over.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, what i've heard unfriendly about them is the body roll on corners and curves. the road between here and Badlands is pretty twisty, and i dont own a trail or a tow worthy truck yet.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: 52\

Something like currie's anti rock bar , would work . When not articulating it holds the truck flatter , yet flexed it will pivot up and down :k5: :k5:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

same basic design. as far as mounting them, i dont see where mounting them just like normal swaybars would be a problem. they're basically the same. true the arms are removable, but they are splined, so they'll act just like a regular swaybar when you link them to the axle.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They are a regular Sway Bar, they just have a soft spring rate. Do the 52's preclude using the stock sway bar?
    I want to say someone is/was making a link to go btwn the stock bar and the stock spring plate for lifted trucks that still wanted to use the sway bar. Might have had a disconnect built-in, can't recall. If those can't be found I'll bet they could be made.

7. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I think with 52's you need crossover and the stock sway bar gets in the way of your draglink.
    Just my .02 worth

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, they're not a regular swaybar, they look almost like an axleshaft, splined on both ends, and have arms you can attach and remove.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

jeeze, i guess next thing you're gonna tell me is that my Dana 60 isnt IFS, right?

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yep that is one version of a regular swaybar. Not every swaybar is fashioned like those horrid stock things.
    Quite a common design. Allows easy changing of the lever length or the torsion bar. Nearly every racecar since the late 60's has had such a swaybar design.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How well does it work? Will it bind at extreme angles?
    Thanks

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not at all, it's built to handle a lot more than the stock bar. Those longer arms mean the bar itself does not need to twist through as many degrees for the same amount of axle movement. But it does reduce the effective "rate" of the bar, so longer arms mean bigger bar. Just need to size them both to your application. Lots of rigs run them with very flexy suspension. You also see them on comp rigs and Stephen has one on the back of his truggy.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know they are kind of pricey (around 400 bucks) would that be my best bet to use the anti rock bar? Would it be hard to set up? Would I use it on the front or rear of my Jimmy. Thanks

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Depends on what you need and want. If the rear is doing all the flexing, and the front doesn't move, you'll likely want something for the rear. If it rolls/plows in the corners, probably on the front. If over all body roll is a major issue due to soft spring rate, like side hilling or street curves, maybe something on both ends. And if you can work out the required parameters, you may be able to save money by getting the sway bar from Circle Track suppliers and the like.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I see. My main concern is leaning going around corners on street, so I would put it in the front.
    I don't know anything about the circle track bars, but dont you have to take them off before you go off road?
    Thans

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not really. If you set it up soft it will behave just like the "Anti-Rock" does.

There are two basic swaybar types, the bent bar (K series stocker) type and the splined end with lever arms type. The splined/lever type allows you to set up for one bar and then be able to change the roll stiffness by buying (exchanging?) bars of different diameters. All of the bars with a series have the same OD at the splines, they're just smaller in the middle by varying amounts.
    Then you can fine tune the roll rate by moving the links on the levers. Closer to the bar = stiffer.

Search AFCO Racing, Port City Racing, Stock Car Products, Speedway (Engineering and Motorsports), and Coleman for the stock car bar parts.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I will search for those companies.
    So you suggest I go with the stock car sway bar instead of the anti-rock?
    Thanks for the help.

18. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Dont mean to hijack.. but how much of a difference if any, is there between the body roll of the blazer with out the stock sway bar, and the body roll of the blazer with the 52s up front? Hope that makes sence and thanks for the help.
    Cory

19. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

For what it's worth, I don't think you'll need a sway bar. My 52's handle better than the 6" tc ez-rides they replaced. Try it before you spend.....

I used the whole spring pack w/overloads and did not move the upper shackle mount forward, I wonder if that might be the differance that makes them less corner friendly?

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will probably try them out first, then do what I can to fix it. I am just sort of "researching" so I know what I'll need to do......