Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" front swap on 1st Gen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fink, Mar 2, 2006.

1. fink

fink Registered Member

Im posting here to get more feedback did searches in the 1st Gen forum but no luck no flamy. Heres the workings 71 K5 w/ shackle flip & 56" 4"lift tc ez ride springs @ rear netting almost 8" lift, Im commited to alcan for new front springs w/military wrap. Im thinking of getting 52" set w/ 4" lift to net me close to 8" of total lift.I already got cross over & turd towers w/14" travel billstiens. If 1st Gen front springs measure 45" (ive confirmed) & 2nd Gen 47" & the center pins are centered between eyes where do I want them to put center pins on the new springs? problem: I can't move the shakle location because of the location of the outrigger for my cage so i was thinking of moving the spring mount forward 6"-7". I can make this work due to my bumper design. Im thinking that if a stock 45" leaf springs has 22- 1/2" from eye to center pin than the new spring center pin should be 24-1/2" from the shackle location forward (for full stuff & clearance to firewall) which gives me more spring in front of the axle apprx.27-1/2". I also think ill need either 6" or 7-1/4 shackles. Please break it down for me if this doesnt make sense, thanks for all your input.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id try fitting a set of 52's up front, use them as a baseline to order the alcans. center pin is dead on in the middle, so you'd only be an 1 1/2 off from your "ideal" of 24 1/2. use just the main leaf and maybe drill it with several different centerpin holes to get the measurement you like. then you can cycle the suspension and see how it would work.

3. fink

fink Registered Member

Thats a good idea just need to find some 52" springs. Your idea is taking all leaves out except main leaf mounting it & cycling it to see where the centering pin should go on the new leaves. Will the arch in the 4" lifted spring make any difference in relation to axle movement front to rear or vice-versa? thanks Ryan. Any other input is much obliged.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i really dont know. ive never thought about it. i would guess that as a spring with higher arch compresses, it would move the center pin more, but am unsure.

5. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

52" don't fit worth crap on 67-72's :mad: .I tryed and the front hangers will be at the very front ot the frame and it appeared that the shackles will hit the cab mount under full flex.If you find a way let me know so I can do it.My Skyjackers don't flex as well as I'd like.:o

6. fink

fink Registered Member

Can someone jump in here that knows or professes how to measure springs? Do you follow the arch of the spring or do you measure straight from eye to eye? Im following a couple of posts & it seems there's a variance of measuring. I'd like to know the differance between 1st Gen & 2nd Gen, 2" or 3" between the front springies. :rolleyes: