Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52 inch spring swap question(suggestion)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazr77400, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I noticed everyone was moving the front mount 4 inches forward(by moving the mount in front of the body mount bracket(BMB)), and then moving the rear mount forward to give a better shackle angle. It also moved the axle 2 inches forward, Right?

Well instead of moving the mount in front of the BMB, why not put it directly under it. That way your axle would stay in the same spot and you wouldnt have to mess with the rear mount. Now I know some people want it farther forward, but in my case I want it to stay where its at. Could I just move the rivets like the blue arrows indicate(disregard red arrows.) I would also brace it in the front or rear(of the front mount) to regain the strength of the L bracket.

lbracket_move.jpg

2. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    IMO it wouldn't be strong enough :( . That would put all of the stress on the body mount only. In its current (factory) configuration it has the stress spread with the additional bracket.

However, I'm with you, I would rather not move the rear mount. It may cost a bit more but custom springs made at 50 inches would give you what you are looking for ;)

Or ditch the current body mounts and make some out of of 1/2' steel and bolt whatever you want on them :eek1:

Matt

3. Blazr77400

Bracing the bracket would make it strong enough.
    The cheapest custom springs I have seen would be around $350. I am pretty sure used 52's would be cheaper, I paid $50 for my 56's out of an 89 burb.

4. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

The first gens came with the hanger located under the body mount from the factory so I wouldn’t think strength would be a problem moving yours under there. And like you said bracing the bracket would definitely make it strong enough.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i diddent think you had to move the rear hanger with 52's :confused:

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, you have to move the rear hanger forward otherwise your shackle angle will suck. it's 56's that you can leave it alone.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

With a 52" spring swap you need to move the axle forward. if you dont you might as well say goodbye to your firewall. i have seen 52"s done and you cant tell the 2" unless your looking at another chevy sitting next to it. Also you need crossover, if your trying to not move the axle to keep the stock steering forget it. it flex's way to much, even for around the town.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

If you want you can zero rate the axle to move back an inch, then it wouldnt be all that bad and might still be far enough away from the firewall to keep it from contacting really hard. Im not sure what will work for me when I do it but I think I am going to move my axle back an inch or inch and a half. Mainly because I want to make use of the crossover highsteer I just bought.

9. Blazr77400

I am running full hydraulic so the steering isnt an issue.
    If I can make it so I dont have to mess with moving the front end(mainly my traction bar) it would make it a little easier. Besides, I Personally dont care for the tire looking forward in the wheel well. Also, the less work the better.
    I also have it so my springs hit the bump stops just before the tire hits the wheel well. Changing the springs wont effect that.

I think the springs I have flex pretty good already, but they dont have a good shackle angle and it really effects the ride especially with the front mounted traction bar.

FRIDAY, MAY 28, 2004 (10).JPG

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I am using a zero-rate to push the axle back 1.5" right now. But, my tires aren't as large as yours. Why would you install 52's and then limit your flex because of clearance issues?

Sweet truck, BTW. I'd put some rock sliders on it.....

11. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Okay here is my question, I have hysteer on my rig and the draglink and the tie rod are pretty close on full compression. If 52's up front move the axle forward 2" and then use a zero rate to move it back an 1.5", it still seems that the two rods would hit, the pitman arm already rubs the tie rod under full compression, the additional 0.5" forward could mean trouble. So how is it working out for the guys that have hysteer?

12. Blazr77400

Mainly for a better and softer ride.
    Didnt you look at the picture?

ab.JPG

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you do not want to move the rear hanger just put 56s in the front. You move the front hanger and the rear hanger gives you almost perfect shackle angle. If you want to move the axle forward just turn the 56s around.

Ira

14. Blazr77400

It seems like most 56" spring packs that are out there are going to be the 3/4 ton ones, and they aren't as soft as the 52's springs. Thats what I had on the rear initially. If I could find some 56" half ton springs again,(like I have on the rear now) I would probably do that.

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

just take the packs apart and build them how you want. It is quite simple and replace the center pin with a 3/8 allen head bolt. The head is the same size as a center pin and it allows you to hold the bolt while tightening the nut to secure the leaves.

Ira

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

If you are to the point right know where you are limiting the uptravel then going to 52's wont do you much good. If you are just wanting them for droop then just move you shackle mount forward in the frame for better droop with your current springs.

17. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

wait a minute... all this talk with the axle moving and everything is confusing me. here is my thinking. the stock spring is 47" right? and a 52" swap would mean a difference of 5", right? so if you moved the hangar forward 2 inches, then the rear would still be 3" further back. if you took the average of the difference, then your axle actually moves back 1/2"... Is this wrong? I thought the whole pupose of moving the braket was to keep the axle where it is supposed to be. So if you do the swap, you cant use factory anti-sway bar, or steering linkages? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The center pin is not always in the center of the spring. :eek1:

Ira

19. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Factory (anti) sway bar? :haha:

-- A

20. Blazr77400

What I want to do is get a better ride.
    Increasing the length on the rear portion of the spring will improve ride quality.
    The way my bumper is mounted would make it a pain to mount the L bracket in front of the Body Mount Bracket. Putting the mount under the BMB would work, and it would make it so I dont have to redo the rear shackle mount, and I also wouldnt have to redo my traction bar, and I wouldnt mess with my bumper mount.

Imgp0335.jpg