Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52 inch springs up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, May 9, 2004.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

do i have to go crossover? I plan to in the future anyway but is it nessessary to do it when I do the spring swap? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe so along with some pretty good driveshaft work up front. Check out the socalbigdawgs site zcarczar did a write up on it. Or I am sure he will notice this oe sandman also runs 52 up front. Search back a few months it has talked about excessively /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crossover is an absolute necessity, I can tell you that.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You'll need the crossover. The axle moves forward 2" and the huge droop that you end up with really calls for it.

5. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

So doing the cross over later is not an option? Well darn. I am getting ready to do the 3/4 ton conversion and thought I could go ahead and do the spring swap same time. Budget dictates what I can do and crossover is just too expensive right now. Also not to hi-jack my own post any one know where to get a set of used hummer tires in the indiana area I will drive couple hundred miles but I don't want to pay shipping. Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Here I go again replying to my own post. i had an idea well a question then an idea. Is the only reason I have to do crossover because the axle is moved 2 inches forward? If so could I use zero rates to move it back and run the same steering setup while I save for the ORD kit?

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think that would get you by for a awhile. You might have a ton of bump steer when the driver side droops but the Zero rate would get you by.

8. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I have done the 52" spring swap too. I ran my stock steering for a very short time before I installed my crossover. ( just to steer it in and out of the driveway / on and off a trailer) So I kind of have first hand experience here.

I dont know how much you know about this swap and all so here I go.

To begin with locating the 52's up front moves the axle forward 2" (I know, this has already been covered). To correct for the 2" you need to make your stock drag link shorter (I couldnt make mine short enough with out cutting some threads off, Also, i'm running a zero rate set at 1.5" forward to push my 42's away from the firewall). With my stock drag link I could may be steer left about 10 degrees but I could turn right like no other. To make the stock drag link work you will most likely have to cut the drag link ends down and have them screwed all the way in. This is kind of a tripple wammie on your steering set up. With 2" less on your steering drag link you now have even less suspension movement available at your drag link before it effect you steering wheel to wheel placement. At the same time with the 52" springs you are increasing the suspensions ability to flex. Thirdly,(correct me if I'm wrong) your sway bar will either have to be removed or relocated. If it is removed then I would not suggest street driving with 52's. They are pretty darn loose on the street so with the body roll and short drag link that could cause possible on road steering problems. Stiff shocks might help you out a little but I still dont like the idea. So that is why your stock drag link with 52's just wouldnt work out while wheeling and I dont feel it is safe for daily driver situations either.

(Getting to your zero rate question) So, you could move the axle back closer to its original possition and only have to adjust your stock drag link a little to make it fit. You are still loosing a 1/2 inch of drag link length (2" forward with 52's relocated / 1 1/2" zero rate offset) so you steering / suspension flex relationship will be a little worse than stock but not as bad as 2" shorter. But, you still have the added ability to flex and a less than stock drag link length. So you might be able to get away with it for daily driver and I think it is a compromise in a wheeling aspect. You would gaining flex but loosing steerability during flex... would you be better off than your stock set up for now...? I dont know.

I must admit, some times I do things not cause it's smart / the right thing to do / or popular. Sometimes I do thing cause I fricken want to. Do what your gonna do man, Hope this info helps in your decision.

9. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Thanks guys for the fast and informed replys. What I had planed was the do the 3/4 ton swap, a shackle flip in the rear and the 52s up front. with this and zero rates I figured I would gain about 5 inches. That sould clear the 37" hummer tires I have planned. The problem is that I have emptied my truck fund again with the mentioned projects and cannot go crossover for now. So I am left with the option of going ahead with the lift and stick with the stock steering for now or ditch the lift idea and just do the 3/4 ton swap.