Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52 inch streetability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tim L, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

I no that this has been talked about but my searches have not brought up a conclusive answer.I need about 4 inches of lift for a blazer that is used for hauling a lifted pop up camper to remote campsights, I have the lockers and the 4 inch lift with springs allready but if I could get more articulation with out losing to much handling on the highway I would like to do the 52 inch conversion up front . Is there a kit out there that works well? Also what about a flip kit for the back ? If there is a previous discusion about his I would appreciate the link or any info . I would'nt mind a little squirrellyness but I dont know about the family and the dogs.

Thanks Tim

2. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

stabalization

this is somthing ive been wondering about also . the answer i am coming up with ( in my head anyways) is adjustable shocks. ive seen them but never used them , i wonder if you could run them on the stiffest setting on the road and the set them to the lowest setting when you get to the trail ? just a thought i might bank on in the future:laugh: also find a way to wount the swaybar with quick disconnects

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

for 52's you need to run crossover steerign so you have to loose the sway bar. a shackle flip is absolutley fine for towing. if i was you id run a good 4" spring (tough country or bds) and run a good shackle angle.

4. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

From what I understand you need the cross over steering and this will interfere with the typical sway bar configuration

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

52's require crossover steering and you loose the factory swaybar. If you already have 4" springs then I would not swap to 52's if you street drive alot. I would work on the shackle angle of your current springs to get a softer ride along with good shocks.

For a truck that sees street use it would be better to look for flex in the rear then in the front. Don't go overboard with front flex especially if you don't have crossover steering yet. If you have a front locker then front flex can be sacrificed a little to help maintain your street manners.

I have driven a truck that had really soft front and rear suspension on the street, and that was an interesting experience to say the least even with adjustable shocks turned all the way up. It would not be something I would be looking to do on a streetable truck especially with he high winds encountered in CO and towing something.

I say keep what you have up front. Just tweek it. Improve shackle angle for better ride. Make sure that your shocks, brakelines, swaybar, etc are limiting your travel potential.

Harley

6. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

i thought i read on here somewhere about using a swaybar with 52s ? maybe they were talking about a custom designed swaybar ? anyway what about running the adjustable shocks ? are they garbage ?

7. Hossbaby50

Adjustable shocks aren't garbage. They can/do help with soft suspensions. If my buddy's truck didn't have adjustable shocks on his soft suspension it would be unstreetable for the most part. They are not a cure all though.

Also keep in mind that stock GM front driveshafts aren't known for there angularity or there longslip characteristics. If I am not mistaken 52's move the front axle forward some and this will be taxing the front driveshaft both in slip length and also the flex may also tax the CV joints alot. CV's can be ground down but that makes the shaft unbalanced and can be bad for onroad use in 4x4 mode. The stock CV ujoints are not real big or real strong. The more angle you use them at the harder you are working them and the sooner they will fail.

Harley

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wow cant people read, the same things i said were repeated...twice...:rolleyes::D maybe everyone has add and they forget by the time they go to post...???:p:

9. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

What would you suggest on the shackle angle ?

Tim

10. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

How does the cross over steering help the droop and what do you mean by shackle angle?

Thanks Tim

11. Hossbaby50

Crossover steering in itself does not help droop but it makes your truck steerable when your axle is drooped heavily. Stock steering is pretty much useless when you have good flex and droop tires heavily, especially the drivers tire.

The angle that the front spring shackle is at plays a good roll in how stiff yoru ride is. The better the angle the better the ride. Do a search for shackle angle and you will find plenty of info to read.

Harley

12. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

HIJACK - I hate to start a new thread for this, but I have read a lot of information, pro's and con's about the 52" swap in the front like was mentioned here, the need for crossover and the lose ofthe swayybar. However, I have not been able to find the con's of the 56" swap in the rear.

13. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I am a newb. If what I am reading in this thread is correct, the 52" front conversion is a little squirlly for a DD?

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status