Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" or 56" springs up front??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Jan 26, 2003.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

52\" or 56\" springs up front??

THINK SPRING! It's almost time for me to get stuff together for the relift. I am going to put longer springs up front. I already made new front spring mounts. Rear mount won't be a problem. But I am still undecided on what length to go. I will get more travel from a 56, but how well will it handle with the longer springs. I don't run a sway bar up front, but am worried that I might make it undriveable on a daily basis. what yall think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: 52\" or 56\" springs up front??

Run stock rear 52's. I think that will give you the best handling and spring rate.

3. bablazer73

well, I can't run stock. I need to lift truck a little more. which Is why I was thinking of the 56" springs. Just to give back what I might loose with xtra lift.

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Running stock 52" rear springs in the front will give you lift. Just look at the stock rear leaves compared to the stock fronts. The rears have a good arch to them while the fronts have a negative arch. I'm not sure on exactly how much lift it'll give you but there will be some for sure. I can't think of the member's name that did this mod already.. IIRC it was BlueBeast? I'm looking to do this myslef.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

didnt Twistid do this as well?

6. bablazer73

I know that stock springs will lift the truck. The problem Is that I already have 5" of lift and with the 44's (instead of 40's which i had) I really need almost 10" of total lift for them to fit. I made a new mount for the front that actually lifts the spring mount 2 1/2" and figured I would use 6" rear springs. I will need almost a 400 lbs spring(weight of big block vrs small block) BDS has them, I just have to decide if I should go 56" and regain some more travel. I have heard though it will make the front end real "loose" fealing. I don't drive it everyday(although I would!) but My daughter Is gonna drive it too. I don't want the truck to be totally unpredictable!

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

what are you dong for the shackle mount at the rear of the spring? i am going to do this too and was just going to relocate the factory shackle hanger. up front i'm just going to relocate the stock hangers also. like this:

[​IMG]

8. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

What mods to the frontend are required to run 52" rears for lift? Roughly, how much lift is provided when doing this? I assume we are talking about 1/2ton 52" springs.

andy

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

not sure on amount of lift. haven't got that far yet. also i'm planing on 56 inchers. i think with the 52s you could just run a longer shackle at the rear of the spring and be ok, but it really changes the shackle angle.

10. bablazer73

My front mount is a little different. I don't have any pics, but plan on some when I finally get to swap. I have a 2x4 steel tube going across the front, but it's not firmly attached. I am using rubber insulating mounts to allow the frame to flex still. As far as the rear goes, I just planned on reusing the mount, just moving to were it fits and works the best. I have heard different opinions about the 56 up front. some people say they are to long and cause the front to sway on highway. but was looking for opinions from anybody who may have done it here.

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i've thought of blocking down the front like that too. cause moving the rear shackle down the frame lowers the rear mounting point. so blocking down the front like you are doing will even it out again-plus gain some lift. can't wait to see pics!

i was hoping to re-use the sway bar and get some disconnects. should be able to so long as i center the axle in the same place it was with 46 inchers.

12. bablazer73

I am trying to build a "best of both worlds" truck. I want as much flex as I can get, but still like the look of a tall truck! The front mount will lift the spring mount 2 1/2 inches, which will allow me to use a lift spring with less arch. Somehow I need to get a total lift of about 10".
    With the plan that I have, I can use a loose 6" rear spring and get my 10" lift. I plan on reusing the rear mount, just haven't decided how!! I will use longer rear shackle's as they will allow more spring movement, allowing a little more flex. I figure I will get the front mounted and then play with were the rear mount will go. I may have to remount it to the top of the frame rail to get the proper position. And through all this, I want to keep my caster angles close to stock. I didn't run a sway bar with my 40's and am really hoping I won't when this is done, but if in the end, I need one, then I make one fit!! I will post pics when I actually do it, But with the snow I got outside, It will be march sometime!!

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

good thing about having to relocate hangers is that you can also re-angle front driveline too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

now i know what im gonna do with those 52" springs on the back of the 82 c10 ! i hear the 77 2500 truck calling them to it, hmmmm.,,,,,,,

how much will this lift the front, roughly?

pics of hanger mods ?

14. bablazer73

I ended up getting 4" 52's. over the 4" trail masters that were on there, I gained 2" more. I am using a 1"offset zero rate and the new front mount(not in yet) should give me a total of 9" lift. And the springs flex ALOT! real "supple" It will be interesting when I get this on the road! I still may have to put the sway bar back on.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what about diameter of holes in the ends of the leaves fo the eye bushings ?

drill new pin hole in the 52" springs, or no ?