Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" spring bushing question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 74k20, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 74k20

74k20 Registered Member

52\" spring bushing question

Stephen, I need your help! Bare with me...

I am swaping 52" blazer rear springs into my K20 front by swapping the front "L" bracket and moving only the hanger. As far as bushings go, I hear you guys can do some trick stuff to go from the 2.5"spring to the 3.5"hanger/shackle (something with a 1/2" shoulder and 1.5" spring eye)

What would a set of these bushings for the spring eyes, as well as a set for the shackle frame mount run, with sleeves. Would that be all 1/2" bolts, or 9/16" for the front of the spring. On that note, if it doesn't seem risky, I think having some grade 8, 1/2" bolts all the way around would keep the spare parts list shorter.

My other option is spacers on the hangers and shakles, using stock eye bushings, and only buying the frame bushings custom (with the 1/2" bolt).

If I were to order a set of HD shackles, could such a spacer be put on when you build them so that I can use the stock bushings and only have to worry about finding stock parts when replacement time comes? Since I would not need the spring eye bushing with the kit, could I trade it for a spare set of poly uppers, ending my bushing purchases for a few years??

Thanks a ton!
    Paul

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 52\" spring bushing question

OK, we have all the right bushings to do the 52" front swap. What you need is:
    2 - GU37012 main eye kits (these fit in the 1.5" spring eye and have a 1/2" shoulder to make the overall assembly 3.5" which fits in the stock hanger and matches up to the upper shackle bushings) These 2 kits will get you a 9/16" bolt front and rear on the leaf spring so your lower shackle hole will have to match.
    1 - Upper shackle bushing kit for the 1/2" bolt. This is the kit you would need if you're building your own shackles. If you're using our shackle kit, you can just tell us what you're doing and we'll substitute the right bushings into the bottom for the different spring eye.

This should have you set up with the right bushings to do this as easy as possible.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just to add to this a bit, i called Stephen and he put that together for me a few weeks ago and it is perfect, allready having his shackles helped just had to open up two holes and they fit perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Stephen,

Here is the situation. I'm wanting to run 52's up front also. I already have your greasable kits in my leaf springs front and rear. What I need to do is replace all the rubber/poly parts of the kit so I can reuse the greasable bolts and sleeves that I already have.

This is a list of what I'm going too.

Front spring/front is 1.5" o.d. with your 9/16" bolt.
    Front spring/rear is 1.5" o.d. with your 1/2" bolt.

Rear spring/front is 1.5" o.d. with your 9/16" bolt.
    Rear spring/rear is 1.5" o.d. with your 9/16" bolt.

I also already have your greasables in the frame eye so I will be reusing those as well. all of these parts have 0 miles on them so It just seems a waste to not reuse.

Can you give me some part numbers so when I call in to place my order I can do it with as little confusion as possible?

Thanks for helping me save some cash.
    OH, and sorry for the hijack.

5. Stephen

Sounds like you just need some 3" long sleeves with a 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID. OR just buy 2 9/16" bolts and drill the shackles out so you can use what you have. Buying the sleeves is probably the cheaper way to go, the sleeves would run a couple bucks each, bolts are $6.50 each.

I think this will minimize confusion. If not, we're pretty good with bushings so we can sort it out.

6. cybrfire

The superlift springs that i have now are small spring eyes so the bushings that I have won't fit the factory 52" springs going in. That's why I need the urethane portion. Then I can just reuse my existing bolts and sleeves. I guess when I'm ready I'll just call and see if I can talk to one of your guys.

7. Stephen

Yeah, superlift and skyjacker bushings typically screw lots of stuff up, we'll sort it out.

8. cybrfire

Cool. thanks.