Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" springs up front and bumper brackets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, May 31, 2005.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I know that you cant run a front bumper with out modifing the brackets when you do a 52" spring swap. My question is, could guys who are running 52" springs post up some pictures of how you mounted your bumpers, and some pictures of the bumper brackets? Thanks.
    Cory

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you dont need the axle moved forward, and just want the flex, maybe try moving the spring mount forward on the body mount. there are 4 holes in the bottom of the body mount and they appear close enough to mount the spring mount to. this should work with the stock shackle location as well. then there's no reason to even mess with the bumper. i had a 73-80 frame, and was just going to mount a 73-80 bumper to the frame as intended, and trim the bottom a bit where needed. looking at the 81+ bumper mounts i can see where you may run into clearance problems with the modified front spring mounts. maybe someone else has some more ideas.

3. k5 krawler 50

Are you talking about not using the L bracket and just mounting the spring bucket directly under the body mount using all four of the spring hanger holes? When doing this would there be a lot of stress put on the body mount? Its a good idea, and it makes sense, i would just be a little worried about the body mount. Thanks for the reply though, it is a very good idea. Thanks.
    Cory

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you were going to do it this way, and want to look into bracing the mount somehow. one way that comes to mind is to leave the L bracket in position, and make a plate that bolts the all 4 body mount holes, as well as the 2 in the "L" bracket. i dont seen any reason why it would be any weaker than the stock setup.

5. k5 krawler 50

That makes sense. I never thought of that, in that case it would also not move the front axle as much either. Sweet, thanks for the idea.
    Cory

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, it shouldnt move the axle at all. moving the hangers to a forward position moves them forward 4", cutting that distance in have is 2", and the springs are 4" longer than stock. divide that in half, since the springs are symetrical, and it cancels out. no modified wheelbase. you can move it forward with a zero rate then.

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Just finished mounting this bumper over the weekend. The 52's are mounted normally using a modified L bracket in front of the bodymount. The bumper mounting plate is in between the L bracket and frame all bolted together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. k5 krawler 50

That is a sweet bumper, not to be picky or anything, but could you get a closer shot of your actual brackets please? Also what thinkness plate did you use for the brackets and did that mess with the 52" brackets at all? Thanks.
    Cory

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Thank you! A bought it from a friend who narrowed his front and went exo.
    The bumper plate is quarter inch. Just had to re-shape the L bracket and drill one new hole. No two setups will be the same. I pondered over how to do it for a couple weeks. You'll just have to get creative like I did.