Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Mar 23, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

52\" springs?

Some one please explain this to me. Is this just your stock unlifted rear springs put into the front. How hard is it? How much benefit? Flexy? And this gives you 4.5 inches of lift? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

Re: 52\" springs?

yes this just uses stock unlifted springs in the front, and is super flexy, sorry I cant post pics. to do this I just moved the mount 4 inchs forward and I used 6inch rear shackle for about 4 or 5 inches of lift. the mount sould line up with the next set of holes and move the rear mount that is behind the body mount infrount of it. and you have all the holes you need. Search around there have been serveral writes on this.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

yes that is the concept. Look at the front of the frame on your K5. Take notice of the forward spring hanger mounts and the brace on the outside of the frame. The hanger mount will be riveted onto the lower portion of the body mount and to that brace that is attached to the frame. You have to pop all of the rivets and move the hanger forward. You will bolt it to the two existing holes in front of the body mount. Then bolt the brace to the hanger and drill the frame to bolt the rest of the brace up. You will also have to drill one hole in the bottom of the frame. There are a total of 8 rivets holding each mount to the K5. You will most likely only be able to replace the mounts with 7 bolts. Different years of K5's had different framehorns so the fit can vary from truck to truck depending on year. My `83 was a great fit. My friends `77 took some tweaking to fit well. You will also have a gap inbetween the spring bushing and the mounts. We use flat washers to fill in the gap.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Let me get this right
    Take rear springs , put them up front after moving the hanger fwd. + longer shackle?
    Then lift rear to match?
    That would be great if I understand this right
    I am new to 4x4 so please excuse my ignorance about them

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

Thats pretty much it.

You can do a shackle flip on the back, which can be damn near FREE and net about 4" lift.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

How much longer of a shackle do I need for say 6 inches total lift in the front? How does this work for daily driving. I have the shackle flip in the rear and at times when I give it gas I can here a loud noise coming from the back of my truck and I am being told it is the shackles loading and unloading is this true and if so would I have this same thing happen in the front. Does anybody have pics of the new front mount setup? I think this is next on my list? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

So you just switched sides on the hangers correct? Drivers side went to passenger and visa versa?
    Bill

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

if you want 6 inches of lift go get some 2 or 2.5 inch rear springs and put them up front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So you just switched sides on the hangers correct? Drivers side went to passenger and visa versa?
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, until I looked at this picture:
    [​IMG]
    It looks like the bracket that you see to the left of the body-mount is bolted to the hanger (ie, it was de-riveted from the right side of the hanger and bolted to the left side)

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So the I can expext about 4 to 5 inches out of stock springs?

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got 4.5" of lift on mine.

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What did you do with the rear shackle? Just lengthen it?

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I already had Off Road Designs Greasable shackels so I drilled out the holes in the lower ends to fit a 9/16 bolts and used some Grade 8, 5" bolts to hold it all together. Instead of using washers to fill in the bushing gap, I cut the ends off of the old bushings and stuffed them in there.

You will want to go to crossover steering as well as the draglink may not go that short.

15. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i am fixing to do this swap as soon as i get my ford steering arm in for my crossover steering. the only question i have is will i have to lengthen the front drive shaft since it moves the axel forward. if so could I use the add-a-leaf to move the axel far enough back to make up for the difference. Then at a later date use the add-a-leafs to go more forward and then lengthen the drive shaft when I have more $$$$ for the increased distance. Thanks