Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

If i wanted to run 52" springs in the front of my k-10 can I do this swap and keep the stock steering set up with a modification like drop steering arm or longer drag link (sorry if not right name for part) and wait till later to do a cross over steering set up. This way I can make two smaller projects out of this instead of one bigger one? Would it be easier to do a cross over steering with the 4" lift I have and then modify it when doing the spring swap? I am looking for a way to do this and not have this in a long project where I can not use the truck for a long period of time.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Dont do it. your front axle is gonna move forward 2" and it will make steering very crappy. you dont have to modify cross over to do a 52" spring swap so do it first the 52" swap later.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

so if i do the cros over steering. then when later I do springs all that should need adjusted is the bar from the steering box to the knuckle to straighten the steering back up because of the axle moving forward?

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to go back to stock style springs after going to 52's?

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

read it agian... he means when the axle moves forward with crossover he'll need to re adjust the draglink... And yes thats all that needs to be done...

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Sorry was not going to stock after 52's. Was saying if i do the crossover with the lift I have now. Then when I do 52s in the front I would just have to adjust for a little steering change then.

Thanks for the link showing other threads on the spring swaps and draw backs. They are answering alot of my questions.

The last k-10 I had ran 4" lift spring up front with no sway bar and a homemade shakle flip in the rear. It did good for what I used it for. My new truck I plan to take a few more places than the old one I had but will have to do more reading on the links from the thread you posted. I may just have to go with the same setup as I ran on my last truck to keep things simple for me.