Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" under a '69 chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blacksheep10, Mar 10, 2005.

1. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

I am doing a 52" conversion on a 69 1/2 ton and putting a 60 and 14 in it for the guy while I am at it. I am curious how far forward you guys moved your front perches to make the tire sit in the factory position in the wheelwell. He is not a fan of trimming or an uncentered wheel. Still drives it to work sometimes and such. I currently have them moved 4.5" forward and the rear shackle perches moved 2.25" back and a 7 inch shackle. Isn't on the ground yet, wanting to know what is might look like (still dont' have u bolts and other goodies to set it down with.) Will the tire be centered?
    rear leaves are 1974 1/2 ton 4wd rears with the overload still in it.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what length front springs came in that truck? are they the same as 73-91 front springs?

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

No.

I am gonna keep an eye on this thread too...so I have some options.:D

4. blacksheep10

rough shot with the tape looked like 44ish. Didn't get super technical. Figured with 52's I could move the front perch forward 4.5 inches ( a half inch too far) and then with the 7 inch shackles they would flatten out some. Sure, still a half inch forward, but if you trim, I think you want to trim the front of the fenderwell. The truck's name is tetanus, kind of rusty. Those fenders just don't look as good trimmed. I just bought u-bolts, should have it on the ground in about 20 minutes. will try to get pics on here.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

check this out...I think its pretty tasteful:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/portal2hades/detail?.dir=1e30&.dnm=bba5.jpg&.src=ph

iirc, thats a '68 body on an 80's K20 chassis...thats why the front wheel is so far forward. its not mine, I stole the pic off of the 67-72 board.

6. blacksheep10

yes, but you might notice that the center of the tire doesn't fit with the center of the arch of that fenderwell. It is a constant arc on this body style. On the next gen after this one, the shave is painless, not much of a big lip on the fender to look goofy once it is gone. He wants to one day make this truck nice:surepal:

Like I said, its name is Tetanus.
    anyway, with it on the ground, it looks like the tire is about 1.5 or less forward. Not too bad, I think I can convince a small shave job to make it look right. If not it is back to the torch and welder.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

is it an option to use a 0 rate, to push the axle backward 1.5"?