Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" up front without moving axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I did a serch, but couldn't find the anser I need. Can I do the 52" spring swap without moving the front axle forward?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You would have to redrill the centering pin hole in the spring many people will tell you this will weaken the springs and not to do it but I have done it many times and have never seen a spring crack where either the old or new holes were. Also spring steel is hard very hard you will need several new drill bits and a drill press if you don't have these dont even think about doing it

3. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would you want to put in 52's without moving the axle? The other solution would be to put in a zero rate and run it backwards so the axle would only be forward 1/2". If you are trying to make the stock steering work with them good luck :doah:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i worked at a spring shop. was told never never put more than 1 pin hole in spring. will break there first.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If you dont move the axle forward your tires going to be in your fender well real quick. if your worried about looks just cut that tab under the marker light off and you cant tell the differance.

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what I am doing. I am using a zero-rate to push the axle back 1.5". That's only a 1/2 inch forward from stock. It works great for locating the axle. However, it's still no cure for stock steering (speaking from experiance).

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

52" spring swaps and stock-style steering... not a good idea.

j

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What he said ^^

9. Geargrinder

To tell the truth I haden't even thought of the steering yet :doah:
    I am more conserned about the stock drive shaft, not the looks or the steering. I have been using the stock front 'shaft on my '86 (w/6") fore years without ANY problems :eek1: and was hoping to do the same on my '84 with 52's up front :o

10. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

cuttin tourch and a welder you can do anything. but i too have wondered why you need to move the axle. why not just build the mounts so the axle is in its original locaton?

balzer

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

moving the axle is half the benefit of the 52" swap... by moving it forward your approach angle is better. Naturally, the other benefit is flex. Personally, if I had stock style steering and didn't want to move the axle at all, I'd just buy a good set of stock-length leaf springs. TC EZ rides would be a good choice... they are flexy and you won't have to mess with any of the poopoo related to 52" springs. IMO its only worth it if you are looking for both more flex AND axle relocation.

j

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just face it that front shaft isn't going to cut it with 52's up front they have too much travel. You will need to have it retubed but that is 50-100 so not worth the hassle IMO just get the right length shaft and crossover steering. The benifits of having the axle forward far out weigh the problems of the driveshaft cost.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What the heck are you trying to accomplish with the 52's??

I think you might want to be sure about your objectives....because it's about to open a big "can of hurt" on your truck if you don't think it through first.

Steering Mods / Axle position / Driveshaft length / Brakeline Length/ Sheetmetal clearance (on both sides of opening) / etc / etc.

Adding massive flex is going to screw up everything "stock" about your front end, so unless you're prepared to deal with all of the associated changes too....it may just end up making you miserable.

Oh yes, and if it's your "driver"....you may not like the wallowy feeling that soft front springs are going to give you. :eek1:

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

When I put 52's up front, I needed the following changes to the truck to accomodate:

Crossover steering
    Steering frame reinforcement bracket from ORD (You don't want to do crossover without this)
    High Angle Driveline
    Fender trimming
    "Taller" upper shock mounts
    Longer travel shocks

Unless you're prepared for all of those associating modifications, you should consider something else than 52's.

-Mike

15. padrik5

padrik5 Bike repair man

are you going with the 52s to get a 4 inch lift ?

or flex

i have a 5 inch lift for 100 bucks if you want it than you can stay with the stock steering

16. Geargrinder

I'm my oun worst enimie :p: This is my DD, but I can't help thinking that more flex, softer ride, more lift, ect. ect. would be good. But the more I think about it, U all are RIGHT! If I'm not ready to go all the way on this one I should just stick with a "bolt on" lift kit and leave it @ that.
    Thank U all for snaping me back to the real world :bow:
    (after all, I have a TRAIL RIG to this stuff to :laugh: )