Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52" vs 56" front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Jan 25, 2005.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

if a post like this exists, please just copy the link for the thread and I'll shut up.

but I think it would be a good idea for a breakdown of pros/cons.

Another recent thread had suggested that neither will net 4" (which I had thought otherwise), so matching a 56" spring swap in the back (w/ flip) would be difficult unless you did something like uh... that other dude did by extending the frame.

I feel like there is a lot of repeats about this subject (cause of questions like this:rolleyes: ) as well as the swap seems to still be expanded upon.

anyone have a good idea of how to set this thread up?

I searched, but didn't have luck, so dont grill me too bad. I'm just planning for the spring.

while we're at it, does anyone think it's worth it to do the 63" rear swap for a full size?

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

if you swap in the 56's you dont have to move the rear shackle mount. but i belive you have to notch out the body mount or the shackle will hit

i dont know where you got the idea that you gain no lift from the swap, i mean i could see if the springs were really sagged, or a bunch of leaf's were removed, my swap gave me a little more lift than what i had with 2 year old 4 inch front springs

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

that's where I got the idea from......:thinking:

4. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

that post like 3 posts up in the quote was in one of my posts. And I do not see why the 56" springs would not give a 4" lift the same as the 52". I do not know if the 56" have as much positive arch as the 52" but I am sure they are a thicker pack also. Plus if you think about it 4" difference over the 48" neg acrch may not have the same look on a longer spring pack like the 56". the 52" would have to have more pos arch to get up to the same hight as the 56" w/o quite as much overall.

7. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

OK, i did some more searching and found most of what I need. I'm a detail freak, so i'm sorry if I ask questions that have been covered already, but please

spare me 2 more:

-do the 56s up front move the front axle forward more than the 52s....
    i'm concerned about too much WB.

-will the 56's use the same location as the 52s (moving the spring mount [not shackle hanger] forward)???

thanks in advance.

werd

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Me too! :waytogo: Best way to learn is to ask questions and lots of them :grin: I believe I read that the 56" springs are 4" longer in back of the spring perch. Not positive though

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i belive that the axle will move foward the same amount. ill let you know for sure cuz im gona swap out the 52's for a brand new set of 56's

10. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

48" spring have a centered pin. so do 52"s. do when you go to a 52" in the front, you can get 2" more WB depepnding on where you mount it. the 56" have a 26" side and a 30" side. this is because the applications that use these springs dont move the front mount, just the rear. and the axle is in the same location. 52" and 56" may have a similar arch, but because the 56" is longer, it will net more lift. if you set them on the ground with the eyes on the bottom and the pin up in the air, the 56" would rise over the 52". if they had the same arch, they would be concentric circles if you know what that means.

11. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

the guy that says your not going to get at least 4 inches of lift from 56s is wrong.

12. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

If you have cross-over steering with Redneck ram, what will happen to the steering if you do 56" springs and the axle is moved forward x-amount of inches? Will it all be fine and just move with the axle?

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Here is my view on this because this is how i did mine.

I placed the long side foreward and kept the original rear shackle location stock with 5" long shackles. I have crossover and hydro.
    I just recently got to drive it on the street for the first time and it felt real soft. not unbareably soft but soft.

I have 38's and belive to lift to be 4"--i dunno--you tell me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't done any real testing on this but as soon as the front shocks come in it will be soon after that.

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It looks good couple q's is 5" shackles long enough???? my eyeball calipers have said somewhere around 7.5" and does your front mount locate the spring the same as moving the stock mount forward? also do you think 56'' springs would be to soft with a Bigblock?

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

56s will move the front end forward the same amount of 52s. The short side of the spring is (usually) mounted forward, and its equal in length to the 52s.

IMO this is one of the cool thing about 56s... the offset center pin gives you flexibility in mounting. In the rear suspension, for example, you can get 4" of extra wheelbase... if you want it. If you don't, just spin them 180 degrees and bolt 'em on.

j

16. SCOOBYDANNN

these springs are soft, if i were to guess, i would say no. If you really were set on 56's i would probably get at least a 2"lift spring. right now i really have no real world expirence with these other than how they drive down my street a couple of blocks. If i end up not liking them i thought ahead and drilled another set of holes for the 52's.

here is my shackle angle with the weight on it.
    [​IMG]

i think it will work for me right now, but like i said i still need to test it.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so with the 56's mounted backwards on the front, you keep stock axle location correct? have you flexed it out yet? looks real good. ill be doin 56" swap evetually as well

18. yellowK20

Well I'mgonna run 56" springs I'm about 1/2 way through the swap now I'm planning on runnig a Tbi 350 ..... but I'm thinking it may be a bit Anemic for my taste My project is a K20 But the body has been completely skinned out Including the bed floor and I will using 41" Ditch Witch tires the rest of the project is pretty standard CK5 material dually 60 front Th400/203/205 14bolt /dana70 ? rear not sure of it yet I still have many issues to work out But i started with the front suspension

19. SCOOBYDANNN

yes the axle is in the stock location and I havn't been able to flex it out--hopefully tomrrow (thursday) and of course there will be pics.

20. yellowK20

Do you foresee any issues with your front pinion angle?