Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52's or 56's up front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well ive been searchin, but for some reason i havent been coming up with much info. im in the middle of my 64" swap in the rear (home brew shackle flip and 5" lifted 64's) and will eventually be swapping longer springs in the front, either 52's or 56's (which will be 4" lift springs). the truck will see pavement alot, and offroad as much as possible. what i wanna know is, are lifted 56's upfront going to be streetable, or would it be best to just go with lifted 52's? in my search, i did find that with the 56's you can keep the rear shackle in the stock location (unlike the 52's), and just move the front hanger. i'm sure in stock form the 56's would be way to soft, but in lifted form with the overload and all, what do you think? if its possible, i think i might enjoy the extra wheelbase the 56's offer (posibly save me from a mega-buck 42* cv front shaft.

sorry for the long post :doah: any info would be greatly appreciated, along with pics:D (i know theres a 52" swap in the tech section, but id like more pics of 52's and 56's infront. thanks

2. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Not sure on which way to go, but I am interested in doing the same thing. What are the 56" springs from?? I would think that if a leaf was added it would stiffen up the ride some. Not having to move the shackle would be less work.

3. muddybuddy

56's are off of higher gvwr trucks. i can order a set of tuff country's for cheap at work, so i jus need to know if the 56's would be streetable with the overload still on

4. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

go 52's. they will flex like mad and they are already on your truck. It's a much easier swap.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a stock set of each and try them out. The stock set I tried on my truck flattened out almost past the overload, guess they don't get along with BBCs. Figure for now just stick with a normal front spring. Lemme know when you get the 8s off, mine needs to be lifted more, don't want to cut a brand new set of boggers....

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I put 56s on a truck and they worked out pretty well. Of course we took about half the leaves out and made our own front mount. They work just fine, ride pretty nice not too soft. The truck does have some body roll but not too bad I would think lifted 56s would be alright. I would make sure they were pretty soft though

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would go with 56s. If you run 56s you still have to move the front hanger but you shackle angle will be perfect without moving the upper shackle mount. With 52s you would have to move the upper shackle mount forward 2"s.

I intend to run 56s in the front on mine as I already have 56s in the rear:D

Ira

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Here's a thought, wheel your truck for a bit and make a decision based on what you need, not what everybody else has.... Have you even wheeled it yet or are you still just doing all the popular mods first regardless of if you need them or not?

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the 56's in the front. I will soon have a post on how they perform. just sitting in the driveway they are VERY soft. To compensate that I slaped on a nice set of shocks. will it work??? we'll see.

10. muddybuddy

yes i have wheeled it. my front shaft is terrible, and i need the extra wheelbase to make up for my crapy angle. i need a longer front shaft, im trying to find a way to avoid one of those $1k 42* cv's, therefor im not doing all of the "popular mods" just because everyone else is.....a set of 4" lift TC 56's are $240 plus a 1350cv superduty driveshaft that i got for real cheap, thats alot cheaper than a $1k driveshaft would you say?!

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

your only going to get 2" forward with 56's just like you would with 52's...

12. muddybuddy

but if i turn the 56's backwards, then i get 4" more...;)

13. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

How about you let him do what he wants? My truck had 3 sets of tires b4 it left my garage .It is his truck his choice he asked for an opinion not for you to be a smart ass. How about you do a sfa on you mall crawler or is that what everyone else does too?:haha:I hear ORU has some really pimp street ones for curb hoppers.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

umm no, you get 4" less:rolleyes:

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep the short side of a 56 is the same length as a 52. The only thing 56s will do for you over the 52s is correct your shackle angle for you.:D

Ira

16. muddybuddy

:doah: ur right, brain fart :haha:

so are the 56's going t be streetable? unfortunately my connection doesnt have 4" TC 52's instock, but they got 56's and i get 'em for a darn good price.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

btw it would be 2" less than stock, 4" less than a 52" swap...

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

by em and try em. if you dont like em sell em and get 52's...

If they are that good of a price im sure youll find someone else to buy em and not loose your shirt on the deal.

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was agree that flipping them around is a bad idea did not pay attention to the numbers.:D I still plan on using 56s for my truck as I do not have 52s anymore:D

Ira

20. muddybuddy

i know, i was thinkin the whole 56's in the rear not the front doh. cuz when theya re on bakwards there, they move it back, my bad