Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52s vs. 56s....up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what would the difference be in swapping in 56s vs. 52s up front? since u have to relocate the hangers and shackles anyways, why dont more people just do 56s? would the swap still give me ~4" lift, or more?

thanks

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 56s are shot. I need a new set.

56s, in my case, didn't require me to move the shackle hanger. Just the front spring hanger. The front axle got moved 4.5" forward/hanger went 7.5" forward.

3. muddybuddy

so how far forward does the axle itself move forward? i wanna try to keep the wheel centered in the fender for the "stock" look. not into :hack: yet. im trying to build a real clean truck that can compete with the big boys :D

my thinkin is to have about 9-10" lift (i like them big) but keep the spring lift size small to maximumize flex, and ride quality.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've heard from a few people who have done them that they're TOO flexy.

Mike

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are these vehicles street driven? I've been contemplating which spring to go with when I do the swap also. I have access to a free pair of 56's so cost isn't a factor.

6. muddybuddy

too flexy?....hmm...this thing would be my daily driver. on my k5 i went 8" lift springs all around :doah: i was young and didnt know any better (16). im still young (17) but since then i have learned alot but still want a bunch of lift, but also wanna be able to actually USE it, although my 8" bds springs do flex pretty good for being so arched.

so what would u guys recommend then? its gonna be a dd. the 52s or 56s would prolly be 4" or 6". its gonna be a k30 so itll have 56s in the back already :D it doesnt seem like the swap is too hard.

with just 52s does it move the axle forward, if so how much? would 56s do the same thing?
    how do the 52s handle on the road? they arent too flexy for street driving right?

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't run 56s on a daily driver. My springs are shot and when I turn it just rolls over until it hits the bumpstop. Brand new springs will probably be better... but remember I have a fraction of the weight on the front axle as most rigs.

Think about your springs for a bit. Stock springs are 47" long and have 23.5" spring centers. 52s have 26" spring centers. 56s have the spring center 26" from the front of the spring. So, you can easily figure out how to get the spring centered. But, to use all that spring you need crossover and the axle being moved forward actually makes crossover easier. Plus, the further forward your axle goes the longer the front driveshaft... means you can run a cheaper front driveshaft. My driveshaft is a stock unit lengthened to 40" collapsed.

8. muddybuddy

thanks cyber :bow: :D so no 56s....yet. but 52s would be alright for a dd?

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 52's on mine and i thought my mirrors were going to scrape the ground going around a corner, but its also not a DD

10. muddybuddy

so then 52s + dd = bad? they would probably be new 4" springs, but if its a distaster onroad then i wont do it :(

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haha, 39.5" boggers, a tranny that's ready to blow, and no shocks in the rear, mine can't be much more of a rolling disaster on pavement. Then again I don't really care about street manners so it's more a matter of how flexy is too flexy on the trail to me. Adding suspension travel can open huge cans of worms.