Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52's vs alcans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Dec 20, 2005.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready in the next month or so to swap in the 60 and i want to redo the front springs while i'm at it. I know the 52's are a cheap way to go to get massive flex up front, but i dont know if i want to go that route or just get a set of alcans or deavers or something in the stock length.
    So has anyone ran both? I know the aftermarket one's are gunna cost, but i like the idea of them. Is there gunna be a major difference between the 52's and the customs? I have only heard good things about the customs, and thinks i might use them, just wanted some opinions.

Also i run 56's in the rear with a (oh ^$#* i cant remember the name) shackle flip. The one that bolts to the bottom of the factory hanger. Which gives me a lil over 6"'s of lift, so if i go with the 52's i will have to figure those out as they only give 4"s if i remember correctly.

So give me your input!!:rolleyes:

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I remember a while back Petersens put in something like 52" leafs from deaver or alcan, they were designed so all you had to do was move the rear shackle mounting point. You get the best of both worlds with that, longer spring and a custom pack. I think that would a be a good option. O and i believe you have the echobit flip.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you are willing to spend the $ for blingin custom leaves... I'd go that route. Of course, longer-than-stock custom leaves would be even better.

j

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Alcan's are 49" front and 54" rear. I don't have them under the truck yet but I can tell you there is no comparison to a 52" rear. You're comparing apples and oranges IMO. The alcan's are a really good way to go if you're budget allows for them.

The spendy part really isn't the springs, it's all the other stuff you'll need to do to run them to their practical limits. Long slip driveshafts, extended brake lines, bumpstops, cross-over steering, and uber long shocks. Then there is the tire to body fitment problem that comes with really flexy springs...

Rene

5. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

So are you saying that you feel that the alcans will or will not perform better than the stock 52's? As far as the other stuff, that all will be needed no matter what route i go. I hope you all are understanding that i mean stock lenght front alcans and not 52" alcans.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I am sure the alcan's will outperform the 52's...

Rene