Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

52's + zero rate = 3.5" foreward right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to check on this topic. I know there's a crap load of 52" spring posts but I searched and came up with a lot of swap tech. I already did the swap and I just added some zero rates with the pin in the 1.5" foreward position. Am I going to have trouble with this and my cross over steering?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

mine w/o the zero rate put my draglink parallel w/ the tierod. i feel it could go a little further if i had to but i really cant because of my ram.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep... shoulda read my tech article. ;) I wouldn't use a zero rate though because I had behind-the-diff high steer. With that type of steering, there isn't enough room for a super-thick spring pack (or a pack + zero rate). My axle is moved 3.5" forward though, thanks to re-drilled perches. :thumb:

j

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I thought I should update this post because I had a major issue when I used the zero-rate to add an extra 1.5" of movement to my axle. The problem is that moving the axle that far foreward puts it directly under the pitman arm on the steering box. With a cross over steering setup using the dropped arm to clear the frame my spring pad was directly under the drag link end. I had about 1" clearance between the DLE and the spring pad. I moved the zero rate back to the center position, dropped my bump stop and have been fine ever since.

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

thats good to know. when im ready for full hydro steer i guess i will also put a zero rate in (1.5" forward)