Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

53" military tires with 14bolt and dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 68on44s, Jul 29, 2006.

1. 68on44s

68on44s Registered Member

Im going to purchase michelin 53x18x20 military tires and american racing 20x10 wheels soon.... and how soon depends on the answersi recieve. I would like to run this set up with my gm running gear. I have a 14 bolt rear and a dana 44 front. If these parts are built up, will they last? I dont want to run rockwells.. but If im going to snap drivetrain every time i go out, ill stick to my ground hawgs for now.( until i save up for rockwells i guess). thanks

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can't imagine a balljoint front axle holding up to those...

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

53" is big even for a 60 front. the brakes and bearings alone will cry for help just sitting there. best get some bigger axles first.

4. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

A BUILT Dana60 wheeled hard will break, but with VERY mild wheeling a Dana 60 will last as will the 14 bolt. Dana 44 will be toast as soon as you back out of the driveway and hit a bump.

5. 68on44s

ok guys, thanks for the advice... i havnt been down this road yet... Im going to try to find some rockwells hidden in the fields of arkansas... i guess the ground hawgs will stay on longer.

6. 68on44s

can anyone post some links about rockwells and rockwell installs.. im searching as well.... but a short cut would be nice thanks

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

As far as the 53's, there was a kid running around here with them on a pair of 10-bolts. Supposedly it lived in the mud, but I never saw it dirty. If you just want to crawl the mall, you might be able to get away with it for a while.

8. 68on44s

it would be mild wheeling.. nothing crazy. im also running wore out 350's... so there is no big power issue to break parts.. im still deciding . any info/input would and is great. thanks

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dana 44 won't like that tire combo probaly twice as heavy as what you have now I'd be worried about ball joints and bearings I'd just wait until you get rockwells I'm in that process right now it's pretty straight forward really the biggest issues are brakes and steering you might try this website Chuckstrucks.net or Boyce Equipment they will have the info you need

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

those big michelins are VERY heavy tires. I'm guessing with a steel rim they are probably 350-400 pounds a pop. A 44 ain't gonna like that at ALL. If thats the tire you want to run, just get rockies and be done with it. :thumb:

j

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

please dont run a 44 and 53" tires, I would be surprised if a BUILT 60 would last very long under some tires that heavy. You asked for a rockwell link and heres the best resource I have found regarding rockwell information.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313836