Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

540 Cu In.......In a K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Since this is the area for "benchracing and daydreaming" I thought I'd post this....a local engine shop suggested that a 540 cubic inch engine would be "just the ticket" for a heavy vehicle like the K5. Supposedly, they have GOBS of torque and would make the truck "feel" a lot lighter and quicker.

How is an engine like this created? I heard that it's all "custom" parts since the factory never did anything that size. Does it use a 454 Block as the basis for the buildup?

I know there are some serious engine "gurus" around here, so I thought I'd just throw this fantasy out there and see what people think.

Forget about the $$$$ or practicality aspects (who wants to consider such bothersome topics? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif) I just want to hear people's opinion on the "Cool Factor" of stuffing such a monster motor in a K5. I always thought the idea of a motor that could produce 500 Lb/Ft of torque from 1000 RPM to redline would be awesome.....and I have a feeling that this is the motor that could ACTUALLY do it!!!

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yowza!...

I'm pretty sure that a 540 has 4.5" bore and 4.25" stroke. I don't see any way that this would not just CATAPULT a Blazer around....

CODave73Jimmy has a 454 in his that makes OVER 500 ft-lb of torque at 1800 rpm. We've had it on a chassis dyno. But... the way the cam is "advanced"... it runs out of poop over 4k. Still it's a MONSTER at the bottom end!... Can't imagine an extra 90 cubes setup the same way.

Marv

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

way before I looked into any super-trick-custom 540s... I'd get with my local chev dealer and see what he could do on a 502 crate motor! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif All the low end you'd ever need,

J

4. Greg72

Marv,

Yeah tell me about it.....I was having a "Tim-the-toolman-Taylor" moment when the shop suggested it.......HoHO...Ho...Ho !!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The idea of a NINE-LITER motor in a K5 is just so over-the-top....it makes me giggle just thinking about it!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok GREG!!! Put down the K5 Crack PIPE!!!!
    Dude!! I am starting to worry about you!!!
    So are you gonna wheel your rig or race in on the pavement?
    My Opinion is for a trail rig a biult to the hilt BBC would be a bit overkill for rumblin through the hill side. To each his own of coarse so if you do doit it would have more of a 'coolness' factor than practical...
    .02c

6. 72zebra

72zebra Registered Member

My buddy is building a 540 Dart block right now for his 84 Chevy 4x4 pickup. (Merlin also offers a nice 540 block) He has 44" boggers and his 388 Stroker wont take mustangs at the lights anymore so he wants something bigger!! HA! Can you say "Twisted Driveshaft"! I knew that you could!

7. Greg72

Burt,

Race it on the street
    Tow a house
    Climb any hill I want
    Scare the local ricers
    Make sure that even my 37 gallon tank isn't big enough

These are ALL things that would be fun to do...! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif The K5 is my "fun" vehicle....so anything goes! Obviously something as expensive as an engine is a LONG way off, but like I said.....it's still fun to dream about.....and TALK about!!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Puff puff....smoke ring...smoke ring
    Ahh Ok I see it now....hehehe
    I hear ya Bro! I lay in bed at night dreaming about ALL the options we have when building our dream 4x4s!!
    Ofcoarse you do live in the Gay Area so a BBC is the bast way to dround out the beebop riceburrners!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Later
    Oh I'm gonna design a skid for the NWMP tank/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!!

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

my ultimate wheeling engine would be an aluminum Donovan 632 breathing with only 2 1/4 headers, 3 in exhaust and a dual plane manifold with a holley 750 double pumper on there with the cam advanced a good 4-6 degress,
    thing would die at 5,000 rpm but it would make my 1-ton do wheelie stands down Almaden Exressway/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

4.5" bore and 4.25" stroke Merlin block Merlin alum. rect. port heads. Amazingly with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty!!

Bill Mitchell makes a crate engine complete with carb, only need accessories for only <font color=red>$9,650</font color=red> with 600 horsepower and 640 ft lbs.

www.theengineshop.com

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

get a Merlin Monster block! you can punch out over 800 cubes in the tall deck version/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

I'm working on my new motor for my K5 right now. 383 with a balanced Eagle rotating assembly, Canfield aluminum heads, B&amp;M 144 blower, and aftermarket fuel injection. I agree, K5's should be fun on and off road. It'll be nice at the sand drags and to surprise a few 5. Slows.

Philip

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'll just stick to my little mouse engines. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The 540 sounds cool but a bit overkill for me. I kinda like passing the gas station once in a while. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Greg, while your at it, picture this...2 1/4 ton Rockwells underneath....I figured this would help the dreaming process.....If your going to dream....DREAM BIG!!!!

15. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Philly87,

Your profile says you work at MSD in Texas... Does that mean your in El Paso?

I'm going to be in EP the last week in May for a week of 4 wheelin' in Red Sands and the Rocks in Las Cruces.

Marv

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what style FI?
    tbi or port?
    I like that combo too
    though a turbo pushing through a stock TPI sounds nicer

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

FI 8-71 BDS Blower sitting on a 812 cu. inch Merlin tall deck, 18* dart heads hogged out to hell, sucking down nitromethane, 2 1/2 rockwells and 52" Terra Mover tires on my K5 *wakes up*

18. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Hey Marv,

Ya I'm in El Paso. So are some other CK5 guys. PM me and give me the details on when you'll be here. We can get some wheelin in.

Philip

19. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

MJ,

Haven't yet decided on the fuel injection yet this is still all in the works. It's gonna be a good years project and I've just started. I got my rotating assembly in last week so now it's time to take the block to the machine shop. Heads will be next, then the B&amp;M and the injection will probably be the last step.

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A friend of mine bought a brand new 3/4-ton, 4WD Chevy truck with the 454 in '99 or so. 6 weeks later he yanked out the 454 and dropped in a 540. He tows a big boat all around Colorado and says that he doesn't have any problem making it over mountain passes, pulling out and passing slow-pokes, etc. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif