Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$540 for a 14 bolt SF conversion? Good deal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dale_gribble, Dec 12, 2006.

1. dale_gribble

dale_gribble Registered Member

I made a good contact here in Utah that happens to have a good friend that works at Boyce equipment. He can get me a core complete axle 14B SF 6 lug for $300 + $140 for the gears installed and another $50-100 to weld up perches and shock mounts for my burb.

$490-$540 sound like a good deal? Or can I do better on my own?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is he going to use new gears & new bearings? He shouldn't have to move the perches to fit a burb. Only 1 ton's had different perch widths. Subs & 14bsf axles are not 1 ton so they should bolt up.

If he is willing to sell you a complete 14bsf w/good gears & new bearings for $450 then it is a good deal. Make sure you get the open carrier & if you want a full case posi or locker installed have have him install it at the same time as the gears.

Harley

3. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

He's right, all semi-float 14 bolts have the same spring perch width stock as the 1/2 ton Blazers,pickups and burbs. It is a direct bolt-in,with the exception of needing a conversion u-joint ( around $30 at any parts store ) and new u-bolts.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So am I missing something?

No 6 lug 14SF made will fit a '73-87 C/K without perch modification. Are we talking about another year truck??

I guarantee the one in my truck (IFS donor obviously, since thats the only place 6 lug 14SF's come from) doesn't have perches in the stock location. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  5. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

I've never seen an 8-lug sf14bolt with the perches to wide or to narrow to be bolted into a half-ton truck, unless they were moved by someone who installed it into another rig. The 6-lug light-duty 3/4 ton that you have was used from '88-98 in the new body style trucks and they may very well have a different perch width, but I've never worked on an IFS truck.

maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Either way, moving the perches is easy anyway.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Around here, unless you find a sucker that wants to sell a six lug axle and get an 8 lug, you will not find a deal like this
    And you are getting a rebuilt axle from Boyce, I say yeah it's a good deal.
    These are sought after axles so you can't find them cheap and if they are stock they have the perches wider because hey are IFS trucks.
    :D

7. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thats what i thought. What would one go for, and are they 1 ton or 3/4 ton??? (havent done much research)

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Out here they go for $500-750.
    They are 3/4ton light duty.
    the HD got the 8 lug.

9. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

yea, the 6 lug 14bsf , as I stated before, was available in '88-98 Light Duty 3/4 ton IFS trucks. A couple of examples are the 454SS pickups all had them and the light duty 3/4 ton Z71 trucks had them.

I believe Petersons 4wheel and Offroad just did a write up on a 6-lug 14bsf swap into a 10-bolt rear equipped late-model Tahoe and they stated paying $500 for the axle. I have never heard of anyone paying over that for one and if they have they were ripped off because that axle is not THAT rare.

14BFF from CUCV trucks with factory 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker and exceptionally low,well-maintained miles never go for more than $600 ..........and the 14bsf 6-lug is a c-clip axle that just barely inches out the corporate 10-bolt rear in strength because of the 9.5" ring gear size compared to the 10-bolts 8.5".

I wouldn't over sell it, which is how many marginally desireable things get a bigger intro to ususpecting people

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Wehn we say desirable, it's because they are wanted for the six lug shafts, thos were not offered as much as the 8 lugs, and people want them when they want to stay six lug and upgrade for little stronger.
    Personnaly I wouldn't bother since I have a full size but for a jeep or a toyota, some would.
    It's usually the cost of the wheels and possibly tires that makes them pay a little more to keep their combo unchanged.
    :wink1:

11. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i got my sf 14 bolt from boyce in 2002 and paid alot more then 500. but its out of a van so its a wider rear end, and i had it filled with 4.56 gears and a posi.. but ive been happy with it, a little gear noise but no big deal...

12. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Shoulda tracked down a CUCV 14BFF that came with 4.56s and a Detroit from the factory. They typically have less than 40k miles on them. I know someone that has two of them. HE's selling one for $600.

13. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

$700 isn't a little

but hey, whatever floats their boat:crazy:

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey $700 is only $100 more than the $600 for the 8 lug your buddy is selling.:D
    No seriously to each their own, I would never do this, but I have bought a full floater kit for my 12 bolt from Warn, at least I got chromoly shafts and full floating for the same price and stayed six lug, I got my setup used with the disc brake with Caddy calipers for $700:D
    Now I am selling it because i need the money :mad:

15. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

14sf a good upgrade from my 10 bolt thats in the rig in my sig?

16. dyeager535

Way off topic from the original post, but I'll make a couple comments.

Bought mine about two years ago already setup (poorly, bad perch weld job) to go into a 73-87 truck. Has a gov-lock, paid $300.

The 14SF isn't marginally stronger than a 10 bolt. It's a whole hell of a lot stronger, and the only failure I've heard of that was even somewhat common (apparently) were bad bearings, which might have been a batch deal. (carrier or pinion, long time since I've heard anything like that, could just have been bad seals or lazy owners who never checked fluid) Gov-lock in mine was toast when I got it, but huge tires, heavy foot, and burnouts will do that to any of the gov-locks. Open diff should have NO problem under even pretty abnormal circumstances.

If we really want to play games with numbers, the 14SF has a ring gear over 10% larger than a 10 bolt, and the 14FF ring gear is the same percentage larger than the 14SF. I don't know as my thread covered it, but as I recall, the pinion is a whole lot bigger as well. The other points of the 14SF are pretty well covered.

Do a search for "14SF" as the thread *title*, started by me, and you can read some of the info that I and others tried to put together on these axles.

17. dale_gribble

dale_gribble Registered Member

The 14BSF is more the the 9.5" ring gear- it also has 1/16" larger OD axle shafts and 33 splines up from 31 splines on the 10 bolt axles.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually the shafts on the 14sf are bigger and stronger than the 14bff but that is because they have the dual duty of carrying and taking the torque, the ff only has to take the torque.

19. dyeager535

Yep, which is why the axles, tubes, and bearings are all MUCH larger than the 10 bolt.

As a matter of fact, think I've heard of broken 14 SF axleshafts as many times as I have 14FF! Once!

20. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

Yea,but his is a full-floater with 4.56's and a Detroit :P

arrrg:eek1:, I hate it when I get a pile of sought after parts together.........and have to dump them for cash