Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

55 Pontiac Safari

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Capman2k, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I saw the one above parked on the side of the road earlier today and I thought it'd be cool to restore and pimp up, but I have nowhere to put it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so I just took some pics...

My dad was interested also, since his family bought one brand new when he was a kid (his dad owned a Pontiac dealership in Sacramento), but agreed that we have nowhere to put a car to restore it...

The sign said make offer, and I was thinking $200 max at first from looking at it. It has 71,000 original miles, was last registered in 1965, needs transmission work, and besides the obvious paint and rust problem, it could use new tires, rims, interior, pretty much everything... This car is in pretty poor shape for being a classic, one of only 6,760 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif There's a restored one on ebay that's up to $15,000 as of a few hours ago /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy it and put it in storage. Most storage lots have outside storage for around $20.00 a month. I paid $15.00 a month to store a Camaro in Omaha, and that was one of those lots with a security gaurd.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When my parents first immigrated to Canada in 1967 the very first car my Dad bought was a 1956 Safari wagon. IIRC he paid $250 for it then (rent was $120 a month)

The '56 looked a lot more like the Nomad, and I sure wish he would have kept it. The original engine got replaced with a 327 in 1968, and a year later it got traded in on a 65 Pontiac Strato-Chief.

I was 3 when he sold it.

Rene

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Buy it , save it . They were cool cars . You don't even need to totally restore it . You could go 17's with low rubber , lower it , dark black windows , some chrome around windows left intact and the side trim removed , one solid trick color , and a new interior . Would look sweet . Kinda like the cars Troy Trepanier builds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif