Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

55Willy---a question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Nov 12, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey guy, I read about your bumper plans on wayne's thread and have a question. Last weekend, I started a bumper that of 4x2 3/16 tubing and it was a basic box through the frame rails and then tapered up at the ends. 75" wide. But it looks kinda strange at the ends. What do you think about chopping that thing to fit inside the frame rails, and welding it in at the very rear of the rails to stiffen everything up? I could even bolt it using a flat plate welded on each end, 4 bolts on each side...Thanks man, you just started the creative juices flowing again. Now off to cut it down and weld it in. What do you think of the lack of protection at the corners of the truck? Learn to place the vehicle and drive? *s* What exactly are you using on the front? Do you have any pics of what you're doing so I can drool?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Drool! Hell Lake I drool every time I look at the pics of your truck.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

oh come on wayne, lots of folks out there more built than me. This is a true budget truck, 3/4 ton axles and all. Dang it.

One more idea, what would be the problem with cutting the front frame horns off about 1/2" further sticking out than the body, then flush mounting that bumper too? And inseting the winch plate to mount between the frame rails right in front of the radiator. That would equal 2 extra crossmembers and more frame support as well as tucking it all up close right?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bryan, I trimmed the front of my frame and welded the tube bumper to it. It's very tight to the body, and if I could afford a winch it would be between the frame rails under the rad, with a roller fairlead built into the front face of the bumper.
    I went a little narrower than you did (70" wide) and also tapered the tubing at the outsides of the bumper.
    So far it's worked quite well...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I too am mounting a winch under where your guys radiator is, mines back a little bit rather. My front bumer is going to be 5 x 5 angle with 3 x 5 being angles back for the width of the truck, I'll then have a 1.5 or 2" tub prerunner loop and two bars coming down to the corner of the 3 x 5. and have to big 12 ton d hooks that are thruogh the frame. I'm planning on welding the shackle mounts on but bolting eveything else. I'm going with 5 x 5 so I can mount a roller fairlead there. For the rear it will be 5 x 5 angle also with two more hooks right where the frame has that funny loop for the bottom bumper bolt. I'm not sure how I plan to get to the corner of the body but it might be either 2" tubbing or use more of the 3 x 5 angle and then a piece of like 3 x 5 box to go around the coner for protection. I can send you pics(drawings) of what planned.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's