Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" front spring ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 24, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking today and was wondering if the 56" spring in the front would be the same amount of lift as the 52" or more?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Anyone know?

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

should be about 4 inches, the same:D

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

So the same lift but more sexy flexy? :grin:

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Also one more silly question. Does just adding the 52" or 56" spring give you the 4" lift, so adding a 12" lift 52" or 56" spring to the front would actually lift 16"?? :confused:

6. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

factory gm front springs have a negative arch, or are flat. the rears do have a positive arch. so a stock rear will give about 4 inches lift if you run it up front. so any extra lift as in lift springs you need to add to that. ie 4 inch lift rears would be 8 inch etc.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Bro! You have no idea how happy this new fountain of knowledge makes the mad scientist today!!! :crazy: mmmmwwwwwuuuuahgahahahaha It all makes sense now. Thanks! :waytogo: Now for some 56" 12" lift for the front of the 84 and a 4" shackle flip and 12" rear 56" springs for the rear.... :whistle: :grin:

8. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

why? running 52" tires or better??

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

not yet :whistle: But look at my avatar... :grin: I would love to have something similar in my driveway. Also I figured the only way to run 44's was 12" springs and 3" body. Now I found about the miracle shackle flips and bigger front springs... opens a whole new world :grin: But then again I doubt that I could get away with that much lift as far as the law is concerned so it would be very impractical :( stoopid lift laws

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea maine has very stupid lift laws, my old truck was lifted 6 inches with 35" boggers on it and i got hosed with a 300$ ticket,this was in berwick maine, but i got out of it cuz i lived in mass

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

But I think I could trick them and use another frame as a lift :haha: the law says that the frame has to be a certain hight from the ground :whistle: why not toss another frame in there? :grin: I will never move since I like my quality of life here too much. And must be willing to make sacrafices for that.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I doubt you will get 4" of lift out of stock 56" springs up front. The stock ~48" up front are a slight negative arch and the 56" springs have very little positive arch. You may gain ~2" depending on the number of leaves in the pack. When I installed my 56" springs in the rear, I gained zero lift, actually lost a little. The reason you get 4" of lift in the rear when using 56" springs is due to a shackle flip 98% of the time. The 56" springs in the front of my buddies rig netted him very little lift. He achieved most of his lift by building custom spring hangers at the framehorn as seen in the link below below.

http://www.austink5.net/gallery/albums/album65/Jeremy_Cage_004_Large.sized.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

link gave a blank page :( And that's odd as other people say they have a 4" lift from both 52" and 56" spring swaps to their front end. I know that the rear is attributed to a shackle flip ;) I guess I will have to go look under my dually and see how much positive arch that has. I would think it best to put "matching" springs in the front. So if I have 52" rear I would go with 52" front and same with 56". Just the way I look at it though.

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

The link is good for me, I signed off the host site and checked it just to make sure.

If you ever have a chance to set a 52" spring next to a 56" spring, you will see what I am talking about. Myself and 4 others in my group did the 52"/56" spring thing in the winter of `03. The lift amount total was about 4" with the 52" springs up front and a shackle flip/56" springs in the rear. I do believe you will get some lift from 56" springs up front, but the total lift will depend on the condition and thickness of the spring pack itself. There is not 4" worth though IMHO.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:dunno: wouldn't work even with copy and paste for me :( But anyway... Maybe I missread someone else's post :dunno: If that's the case with the 56" fronts I think that the 52" would be much better. But maybe I am thinking of different 56" spring packs also. I keep forgetting there are variations for them. I just always think of the big pack under my duallies :grin:

16. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

\
    COMUNIST P.O.S

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

you would be surprised what all the laws in different states are. I know maine isnt the only place with frame laws. they varry from state to state but all limit the lift in some way or another. Well not all but most do.

18. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

here in Colorado, you can`t alter any suspension, lifting or lowering, but they don`t enforce it. There is alot of lifted and lowered autos and trucks out here, it just gives a cop a reason to pull somebody over, I have never been pulled over, and for years I have had super low trucks and lifted ones to.
    They use to have a law, that your tires could not stick out past your fenders, but they cancealed that law last year.

19. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i get busted more in mass than i do in NH or ME, as soon as i leave the area i live in i usually get pulled over.

the club im in does alot for my area so they give us a break with lifts and whatnot

20. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I Get A Blank As Well.