Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56 inch springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guz71, Apr 2, 2007.

1. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about having some alcan springs made for my rig. 6 inch springs for the front with the center moved 1.5 inches forward and some 56 inchers for the rear. Since I have cut out flares and I do not want to hack them anymore, Would it be possible to order them with the center pin far enough forward to make the axle stay in the same location? From what I have read, if I just swith my DIY4x flip kits around, I will have an ideal shackle angle with 6 inch shackles? I plan to swap in f250 shock towers in the front and maybe inboard my rear shocks, Im trying to gain more flex. This about all she will do now, will the alcans give me much more(is it worth it)?

katemcy 064 2.JPG

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

alcans would probably flex more than 95% of 6" springs out there. That said, with intact fenders, I'm not sure how much flex you are going to be able to actually use up front until you start doing inadvertant tire grooving.

j

3. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

well right now, if i shove the tire all the way up there and cut the wheel, the tires rub a bit. As you can see I have done a lot of trimming up front already. If I move the axle 1.5" in the front I will have plenty of clearence. Im just concerend if i swap in 56's in the back, if I will be able to get the axle to sit back in the oringinal location. The rear has plenty of room for the 38's (the cut outs take off 4+ inches) but if the axle gets moved back then I am going to have issues. From what I have read, 56's will move the axle back 2 inches (or is it 4?) so i could jut have the center pin moved forward when they build them?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

With 56's you can mount them one way and keep the same wheelbase, or mount them the other way and gain a few inches.

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

yep mount them with the long side toward the rear and keep the same wheelbase or mount them long side forward and gain 4" wheelbase

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep I have 56s on the rear of mine.

Here is what it looks like after I cut the fenders. I cannot find a before pic.
    Drearcut.JPG

Ira

Drearcut.JPG

7. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

Ok that is badass, if I swap in the 56's with the the shackle flip and same shackles (4.5 center to center) will it net the same lift, or is less than the 52's. thanks for the help guys, appreciate it alot.:bow: edit: from what I read, 6 inch shackles give a good shackle angle so I will do that. Any idea of how much lift that will net?

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

depending on shackle angle and condition of springs ~4-5" lift

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, My 56s with 6" shackles got me right between 4 and 5. This will vary depending on how many leaves you have in your spring pack.

Ira

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got 9 leafs in my k30 56's. im thinkin i will run 4-5 when its done

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My first set was 5 with no overload and they were shot quick fast and in a hurry.

The ones I run now are 6 with an overload and they are holding up so far. Also there was little or no difference in ride quality with the extra leaf and overload.

Ira

12. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

ok thanks alot for the info guys. Im either having alcan make me some front 6 inch springs and 56's for the rear or 4 link it up. I have decided what I am going to do this summer. I having a lot of problems with axle wrap and I dont want to run a typical ladder bar because it limits articulation. Coil over would be nice, expecially for a daily driver but I dont know If ill make that much this summer laying brick lol