Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" or 57" springs and big @$$ axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

56\" or 57\" springs and big @$$ axles?

I have a Dana 70 dually rear end. It just so happens that it is the perfect width for my Blazer, both spring perches and wheel mounting surface wise. Now, recently, I have been reading a lot about putting the 56" Chevy and 57" Ford springs in back there. The springs I have now are 52" Chevy 4" lift springs and have no problem controlling this beast of an axle with 37" SSR's, but, how would the 56" Chevy springs do? Not much worse I guess. But I would really like to know how the 57" springs would do seeing as they are much softer. Also, what would I have to do, if I wanted either the 56" or 57" springs with a 4" lift? The lift being in the springs that is.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: 56\" or 57\" springs and big @$$ axles?

I am by far no expert on this, but I would say that the size/weight of the axle won't really affect the spring's functionality. I would think that only the amount of weight on top of the springs and the amount of hp/tq (along with the available traction) going to the axle is what will cause the springs characteristics to change (sagging, axle wrap, etc.) This being that the axle is unsprung weight. The 56'' spring is generally stiffer (used in 3/4 and 1 tons) with the exception of the big 10 that used 1/2 ton 56''s, so it will have less axle wrap and ride stiffer. Is this a DD or a weekend warrior? If it is used mostly for wheelin' I would only be looking at 57'' ford springs or 63'' GM's. Just my $.02

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have springer suspension(HAVE, not ever run it, but seen it run. long story)
    and i love the results on other trucks. one day when my pig is back together and running i will let ya know how much i like it
    now, it used 57 inch ford springs, stop me if you know this already, and a custom drop bracket. uses NO mods to the frame, well a couple holes here an there. no big deal
    and is very cool setup.
    learn more here if you dont already know.
    http://www.springersuspensions.com
    grant /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

actually, the weight of the axle will have a noticable effect on axle wrap. The heavier the axle, the more it will wrap up (I suspect this is also a function of ring gear diameter). I experienced this phenomenon when I swapped a 14BFF under the rear of my old half ton. And the 56" springs will have less wrap. All things equal, a spring with a longer side will have less axle wrap, I don't remember the exact physics, but remember reading about it in an issue of Four Wheeler this past year.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

would love to hear the 'phsyics' of that

6. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

'phsyics', what?