Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" rear spring install trick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

56\" rear spring install trick

I ordered new stock springs for the back of my Suburban, from JC Whitney. I picked the 8-leaf pack rated to 2000 lbs. max load each (they are sold individually, and are 56" long though not marked so, I found out). I already had the ORD shackle flip, and I retained the stock shackle. I flipped the overload, and installed a zero rate spring setting the axle back 1 1/2". Trying to recenter the tire in the wheel well after the shackle flip, and increase departure angle that is severly lacking. After lowering the truck the shackles folded all the way back and the flip brackets were sitting on the leafs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I can't confirm if this will work on a K5 but on my Suburban frame the holes are already in position to relocate the bracket exactly 4 inches back for the 3/4 tons. I just dropped the gas tank on some stands, and bored out the existing holes. I have been very impressed with ride that they have. They sit almost completely flat, and soak up speed bumps much better than the 4" skyjacker springs in the front. If you were so inclined I'm almost certain this would also work with the 57" ford F150 springs. It obviously pulled my drive shaft out 1 1/2" but that was from the zero rate spring, the 56" chevy springs have the same spring center location eliminating the need to redrill the spring pack. I haven't gotten to completely flex out the back but I will try and post pics of springs and flex. I accidently figured this out and just thought I would share. Aaron highjaxx@hotmail.com /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: 56

Just out of curiosity, how much did those springs run you?

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 56\" rear spring install trick

you know you can also just use the shackle flip brackets on the opposite sides of what they are suppose to be, That is approx 4 inches back aswell.

4. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

They were about $100 each + 15 for shipping each. I ordered them at two different times because I assumed they came in a pair. I thought it was too cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I swapped sides I don't think the holes on the bottom of the frame would line up. You could just tap four more, and if you did both you could run 60" springs.

I bought the 2000# rated springs that had 8 leaves. Look under chevy suburban in JC Whitney. They are very soft. I would suggest using a zero rate spring and flipping the overload to help it. The offset from the zero rate leaf looks even stronger than I expected.

And if you ever change your mind you can either move the flip bracket back or buy 3/4 or 1 ton springs. Aaron highjaxx@hotmail.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

The problem is you have no upward flex.With the set-up like that your springs cant fully cycle.You will have lots of droop ,but only as much upward travel that your leaves will allow.Eventually your springs will get weak and sag.

6. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Why won't they flex up? They are softer, flatter, and longer than the originals and don't have an add-a-leaf. They ride a lot better than before. Please resond I want to know if I did something to reduce performance and drivability. Thanks

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

well what it sounded like to me is that your shackle isnt doing anything for you uptravel, its all in your spring, Your shackle is suppose to move when you Stuff.....

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why won't they flex up? They are softer, flatter, and longer than the originals and don't have an add-a-leaf. They ride a lot better than before. Please resond I want to know if I did something to reduce performance and drivability. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    When I said cycle I should have explained.The shackle lets the suspension travel upward and downward.With the spring sitting on the mount it wont allow any upward movement.The spring itself will flatten out and that will allow upward movement,but when the eye goes below the spring itself that causes the spring to dearch.Eventually the spring will want to sag from the negative arching.
    Im no spring expert Im just going thru a similar problem right now.If that doesnt answer your question PM Marvor echobit

9. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I just put 56 inch rear springs im my blazer and swapped the ORD 4 inch shackle flip brackets side to side. For the moment I used two stock shackles on each side. The difference in spring length even with the brackets swapped made the single shackle lie flat. I just added a second shackle to the flat one and now it rides fine. So far on the road it rides great. I have already ordered some bushing kits from ORD and will make some beefier shackles for the rear to make it a single shacke setup before I take it on a trail, I.E. the hammers. The double shackles are fine on Yota's but seem a little lightweight for a 6000 lb blazer. However I will have to make the shackles about 1.5 to 2 inches longer than stock to get appropriate shackle angle/ cycling, not a big deal. Yes, so far the 56 inch springs are way softer than the 52 inch springs I had.

10. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just put 56 inch rear springs im my blazer and swapped the ORD 4 inch shackle flip brackets side to side. For the moment I used two stock shackles on each side. The difference in spring length even with the brackets swapped made the single shackle lie flat. I just added a second shackle to the flat one and now it rides fine. So far on the road it rides great. I have already ordered some bushing kits from ORD and will make some beefier shackles for the rear to make it a single shacke setup before I take it on a trail, I.E. the hammers. The double shackles are fine on Yota's but seem a little lightweight for a 6000 lb blazer. However I will have to make the shackles about 1.5 to 2 inches longer than stock to get appropriate shackle angle/ cycling, not a big deal. Yes, so far the 56 inch springs are way softer than the 52 inch springs I had.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is the same thing I did.Im going to use a 6" shackle.I had to add two leafs from the stock Chevy pack,but Im still experimenting.
    18 days from the HAMMERS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

The spring rode on the mount BEFORE I moved the ORD bracket back four inches. Thats why I had to drop the gas tank. Read my first post again. It looks perfect now. On my suburban the mount holes were already there, because that what the 3/4 ton trucks use.