Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" rear spring swap?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Bob87Burb, May 16, 2005.

1. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I did a search, and didn't find the info I needed. Perhaps I missed it, sorry if this is a repeat (or threepeat).

My 87 1/2 ton has 52 " rear springs (rough country, they suck), and I can get a set of 56" 3/4 ton rears fairly inexpensively. I figure that, along with my ORD zero rate, ought to enable me to actually load the truck, and keep it level with the front 2" springs.

From what I've read, the center pin hole in the 56's is offset, so the front hanger stays in the original position, and the rear one is moved. Correct?

Also, what's involved to moving the rear hangers? Are the holes already in the frame for them, or would I have to drill them? Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes the pin is different from the 52's and 56's. As far as putting in 56's in place of 52's, some rigs already have the holes there in the frame, some don't. If they aren't already there, you'll have to drill them.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should already havve the holes in the frame since a lot of burbs came with factory 56s like mine :D :burb:

4. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Good news, I checked out the truck tonight, and the holes are indeed already there. :thumb:

Got a good deal on 3/4 ton 7 leaf springs, so I'll be installing those along with my zero rates I have on the truck now. Hopefully, that'll make it level with the front. I'm pretty sure it will, since the 3/4's seem to sit higher than the 1/2's anyhow.

Thanks for the help guys.