Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" rear springs installed now have shackle questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Mar 14, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I swapped sides with the ORD 4" shackle flip and am running the new 56" springs backwards to move my wheelbase 4" in the rear. Everything went on very smoothly but my shackle angle looks waaaay wrong...here are pics

Now also my pinion angle is a little low so I need to roll my perches on the 14 bolt, not a big deal. Also, for the guys who have done this swap...did you get much axle wrap?

shackle.JPG

shackle2.JPG

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I can't really answer your question, but do you have any pictures of the whole truck from the side? You're rear axle is 4" back from stock? Did ya move the front axle at all? And what's your overall wheelbase with all the mods?

3. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Kid, the overall wheelbase now is 110 1/2 from 106...My zero rates shipped from ORD this morning and that should move my front axle 1.5" more forward to give me right at a 112 wheelbase. The springs are 4"-56" rears and the fronts are 6" lift. the springs are tuff country and the shackle flip is ORD.

Oh, and don't ask about the yellow strap around my doors...I put my turbo 400 and 205 case in this weekend and need to build a crossmember :blush: . Its a little rigged but it holds for now LOL

DCP_0935.JPG

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

funny thing is it dont look moved back to me . but sweet ride

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

From what I understand, you want the angle between the shackle and the spring to be as close to 90* as possible. If that is true, then yours look pretty good. I am interested in hearing from those who know, as my angles are about the same with the ORD 4" plip and ford 57" springs.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yes me also . someone please post the pics of the correct angle thanks.

7. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Well, what worries me is a buddy and I got up in the back and the shackle completely "collapsed" and stuck straight backwards...three of us had to lift up the rear to unstick it and it finally sprung back up.

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bhintz just put this same setup on his. Maybe he'll post up with some pics also. BTW I can tell that its moved back. :grin: looks good now you'll just have to trim the back.

Edit: I thinks some people also added a longer stronger shakle with this setup.

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Hmmm... that doesn't sound too good. Tomorrow I'll go jump around in the back of mine to make sure I dont have the same problem. My gas tank is still out, so if I run into problems, I'll probably move the whole flp bracket to the rear enough to get the best shackle angle, if someone would just post up on what that magic angle should be.

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

are those pics of the shackle with the weight on the truck?? if so then it looks vary good, here are some pics of mine
    shackle angle

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

get rid of the horridly short shackle and it will get a lot better i promise.

12. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

the shackle angle is as it sits with no top. and if I get a longer shackle, won't that give me more lift??I really don't want to go any higher than it is. I am thinking of moving the rear flip kit back some more on the frame to straighten the shackle out some...just not sure what "proper" angle should be.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should make yourself a longer beefier shackle. With the shackle like that you will be dropping on it alot on the trail and stock shackles are not that strong. Also, your angle is fine. It should ride like a damn caddy with an angle like that.

Harley

14. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

O.K., I don't think I am illustrating my problem. The problem is that when I stand on the back of my Blazer (I weigh 180 pounds) my shackles completely compress and stick. It will not raise back up on its own. This pic is after I have already stepped off the rear of the vehicle. We had to get three people to lift the rear to get it unstuck.

shackle collapsed.JPG

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Have you double checked the length of your springs to verify they are not mislabeled by the manufacturer?

Also, have you actually measured your wheelbase? I could be wrong but I think you're only going to net a 2.5" wheelbase stretch with this set up. If you'll notice installing a shackle flip always pushes the axle forward slightly, a Zero Rate installed at 1.0" or 1.5" recenters it. That said, of the 4" push from the spring you should lose an inch or so due to the shackle flip. I plan on doing the same thing you are except I'm going to run a Zero Rate as well (hoping to achieve the full 4").

I saw your post in the ORD forum so hopefully Dr Watson can clear all this up. :thumb:

16. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

my wheelbase went from 106 to 110 1/4

17. nvrenuf

Very cool! I was certain I would need the offset of the Z/R but I really did not want the additional inch so that's good new for me, thanks!

What do you think about the spring length? Do you think they could be longer than 56"?

18. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

When I had originally spoke with Dr Watson he was telling me about the 64 inch springs but you have to move both spring hangers and i wasn't feeling too secure about that. Of course it is a proven fact that the longer spring the more flex you get.

19. nvrenuf

I know longer is better for flex, I was just wonder is your springs might actually be longer than 56" (causing the shackle to flatten out and lock on compression).

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yes... this is a problem that will lead you to a broken main leaf.

A longer shackle would help, but it would have to be significantly longer... and you may not want that much lift.:dunno:

I'd say move the hanger back is the best solution. Prolly the reason you're having this problem is maybe your springs are aftermarket "lift" springs and may be slightly longer than stockers... :dunno::confused:

BTW, ideally, I think you should have a litte bit of that same angle on your finished setup, but that's way too much!

Marv