Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" rear springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 90oregonk5, Jul 21, 2003.

1. 90oregonk5

90oregonk5 Newbie

56\" rear springs

I want to put 56" rear springs in the back of my jimmy but I have some questions?
    Frist, where can i get some flexy 56" springs?
    I want to flip my shackle flip but is there anything else i need to do? (move brackets back, longer shackles, ect?)
    How much will i have to move my rear axle if i have to move it at all?
    Do i need a 1ton shackle and flip kit to use with the 56" springs?
    How much lift am i looking at with 56" rear springs?(I have 6" and i don't want to go higher)
    What kind of flex am i looking at with these springs?\
    Any help would great, thanks!

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: 56\" rear springs

2 1/2 shackle flip and BDS 4" springs. Thats what I run and it flexes really well. You end up with 6 1/2" of lift. O yeah and get the greasable bushings too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2 1/2 shackle flip and BDS 4" springs. Thats what I run and it flexes really well. You end up with 6 1/2" of lift. O yeah and get the greasable bushings too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now is that with a 56" BDS spring or 52". This an idea I have been thinking about also.

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is with 56" springs. You can't get less than 4" 56's unless they are custom.

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

On my buggy I used the 56 in. rear springs from a 1/2 ton Sub. (stock) with a 2.5 flip. The main reason for doing this is because I lost so much weight in the rear the shackle was just way forward with the 52 in springs and all the extra spring on the 56's are in the rear. So the 52's are center pin to each side is 26 in. but the 56's are 26in from center pin to the frt. and 30in from center pin to the rear. All I can tell you is I know you will need to move the shackle back some but really don't know how much. Now as for flex they do flex real good. Good Luck and I sure hope some of this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Typically 56" springs come on heavier rated trucks but you can often mess with the leaf pack a little and do OK with them. Also, aftermarket springs (what you would need anyway) can vary the spring rate so you could still end up with a 1/2T spring rating.
    You would start by turning the shackle flip brackets around so the shackle eye is moved backward of the bracket centerline, and that should do it for you. You'll use the standard shackle flip for your truck, you don't need a 1-ton version.
    Your rear axle shouldn't move at all compared to a stock 52" spring.