Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56"s rear conversion -- how many leaves to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Nov 1, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

My donor pack is eight leaves plus overload, off my "3/4" ton crewcab (i.e. the regular-duty 1-ton pack without the upper auxiliary leaf.)

Somehow I can't imagine them flexing all that well as they sit, so ... what should I yank? Any advice on general methods, since I suspect the answer will be "Try it and see"?

The overload looks to be begging for rock hits, or else I'd keep it, maybe remove a coupla the small leaves above it ... or maybe every other one?

I *assume* that these big-momma packs have decently thin leaves which can be made nice and slinky ... or are they lots of really thick leaves for crazy loading and I should go get the five-leaf ones off a Burb?

-- A

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would remove 2 of the leaves and truck making it a 6 leaf pack. If it is still to stiff then remove another one. You may play around and add and remove different leaves to see how they affect the rate of the springs.

Harley

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Two bottom ones, presumably, to start with?

Also, the overload: take it or leave it? (as it were :haha: )

-- A

4. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

keep the overload but flip it around. and yes start with the bottom leaves.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A flipped over load does nothing until the spring in negative. If you are supporing enough weight to need an overload than you want it to do the supporting before it reaches negative. Ditch the overload, the 2 bottom leafs and you should be close. Mine are a 5 leaf pack that sat a little low when I had the full body on. It sits a little azz high now.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hmmm i forgot about the stock overloads bein arched. mine are almost flat so flipping them would stop the spring right before it went negative. good point the stock ones flipped would just stop it from going really negative

7. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

i took out the first leaf under the main and then the next to last leaf before the overload and ditched the overload. VERY flexy, and nice ride, but about 3/4 of an inch to short. I have cut the overloads off to be basicly zero rates and am fixing to add those back in to get me back to about 4 inch lift