Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" shackle flip rear spring guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Jul 11, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

56\" shackle flip rear spring guys

The K5/K10 project is going to get a shackle flip using the front spring hangers out of a 1/2 ton pickup. I have a set of 56" rear springs out of a 77C20 HD. 9 leaves plus overload.

I figure between the shackle flip trying to even out the lift gained with the 52s in the front combined with the rear spring hangers moved back it'll do a good job of protecting the gas tank.

But, how many leaves do you guys remove? Which ones? What's the general consensus of how far to move the rear spring hanger back?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: 56\" shackle flip rear spring guys

PM micah, he had a post on his with 52's up front, and 56's in the rear with a custom shackle flip. He'll answer your questions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

ask again in about two months /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I'm using hybrid 56" springs... 56" top two leaves and the lowe rgroup from the 52's. Then a set of high arched (AKA not saggy) 52's in the front is the plan.

4. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

My 56's came out of a CUCV truck and were the same 9 leaf plus overload pack. I pulled every other leaf and left the overload, but i also cut down a second overload i had to make a zero rate and bolted it to the bottom of the pack. I just needed that extra little bit to lift in the springs since i didn't want my shackle hanging down to far.

As far as hanger placement, I placed my hanger (the same as what you are using from a pickup) on the frame such that the shackle can never lay back flat. Since the springs are 56 eye to eye when flat, I measured back 57 inches from the front spring hanger with the shackle laid back flat.

as for height, honestly i estimated. I knew i didn't want the shackle hanging down low they way I see with so many extended shackle, or echobit setups. I just chose a spot on frame where i was comfortable with the amount of hang down and then figured i'd make it up in the pack by adding a leaf if needed (hence the second overload cut down to act as a zero rate).

Here's a picture of the setup...
    [​IMG]

and of the resulting flex...
    [​IMG]

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I just can't stop staring at that 2nd picture. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif