Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" spring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Dec 23, 2005.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

would there be any bad efects on 56" springs used in a 1ton truck rear to haul heavy loads with trailer if thay were fliped end for end to get more wheel base length? thanks.

more info. i know i get 4" movement. i only was looking for spring ride and wrap problems. and road handling. it is in a k30 cab and chassie flatbed truck.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hmm. Presuming you have no third tank inbetween the rails, the pumpkin will fit (unlike my K5, which has the tank back there.) If there's a spare tire it might have to be finagled.

Parking brake cables would need to be lengthened, as of course would the driveshaft. (Well, it might stretch, since this likely isn't a truck with giant flex?)

Might be an easy way to get 3" ... the other thing is the wheel wells, you may have fitment issues or at least could look funny with the offset.

-- A

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

it wont affect the amount of load you will be able to carry

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it does affect the pinion angle & can cause funky axle wrap issues. i run mine that way on my trail rig. makes my blazer look bobbed in the rear. i am thinking it moved my rear axle back 5.5", not the 3 mention earlier.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Crap, this is what I get going from memory. Maybe the center pin is offset ~3" so it's ~6" when you flip it around?

Didn't think about pinion angle, but on a pickup with a longer rear shaft it should be less of an issue, I s'pose.

-- A

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the offset is 26" and 30" so if you flip them around your axles moves back 4"

7. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

yep, 4 inches. if you got 5.5 inches, you sure you don't have a zero rate in there too?

as for axle to tank issues, it fits almost perfectly. With no diff guard I was able to flip my 56's and the only thing that touched my tank was the brake line extender, and even that was only when both wheels were shoved up there after a drop off or something. I have since remove the tank in favor of propane though...

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

updated above.