Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" spring questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masiony, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i tried to use the search function, but i didnt really come up with anything i was looking for.

what i am asking about is running a 56 spring in the rear of an 85 k5 with a shackle flip. my question is has anybody done this without moving the rear hangar, but using a 2" lift (4" longer) shackle instead. would that give somewhere the desired shackle angle? i would prefer to not have to move the rear mount, but if i have to i will use a front hangar. any help would be appreciated.

2. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

just move it bro its not that hard.just .02

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I didn't move mine.

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

ive got the diy4x flip/switch in the stock location with 6" shackles and 56's. the angle is perfect.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

how much lift did you guys get with your respective setups?

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

X2 I got about 4" with mine but I do not have overloads on my 56s:D .

I am waiting on a set of tapered zerorates from JKW to get here to level the truck and correct pinion angle.

Ira

8. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

oh yeah..... i did swap sides on the flip brackets.... but i didnt have to move the holes.

i'm using the diy4x flip with 6" shackles and 56's out of a 1/2 ton suburban (4 leafs + overload)..... and ive got a 1.5" zero rate under them from blackwidowperformance. i moved the axle rearward 2.5". it sits pretty much level with my 6" TCI springs up front.

9. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

what is the stock shackle length?

10. krechj

krechj Registered Member

the stock shackels are about 4"s but depending on your kit you may or may not be able to use them, on a side note though is the shackle angle exceptable if you run the diy4x shackle flip in the reverse location with 4" shackles and 56" springs?

11. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

why would you want to run 4" shackles with 56's? 4" shackles are too short for 56's.

12. krechj

krechj Registered Member

i was just wondering about it and figured 4" shackles would equal roughly 4" 's of lift which is all i really want but i guess i could go up to 6" if need be. im new to the shackle flip and figuring shackle angles so just tryin to figure out what my options are

13. krechj

krechj Registered Member

so is there a way to run 56" rear springs with a shackle flip and only get 4" of lift? sorry Masiony bout the accidental hijacking of your thread but it seems were sorta on the same page here

14. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

no prob, and i will not be using a pre made shackle flip. i am making mine. thats why i am wondering if i can just do it without taking it off. and i have a (originally) 2" drop shackle for a 2wd. so it is actually probably like 4" longer, or apparently about 7-8" long. i am looking for a shackle angle somewhat like this, or maybe even a little more kicked back. another question i have is how far is the center pin compared to the stock 52? with just the spring, how much can i move the axle either way?

[​IMG]

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The center pin is in the exact center on my 52's, and I believe it would be on a set of 56's as well.

If you're talking about the home brew shackle flip, as in torching out the bottom of the hanger buckets and running the shackle through the bottom, then it won't work. That only works with 52's, and leaves you with a vertical shackle and just enough material in front and in back of the shackle, and just enough range of motion for the shackle. If you use 56's, your shackle would be kicked so far back that you wouldn't be able to leave any of the hanger material to the rear of the shackle when you torch it out, and the hanger would collapse. I hope you can visualize what I'm saying...

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Aboot 5"
    My setup is: 4" 56" rear springs(with overload removed), 4" shackle flip(reversed), 6" shackle.
    In the front, I have a 4" spring and a 1" zerorate on a d60 and the truck sits level.

BTW....The center pin is offset on the 56" rears. You can keep the axle in the stock location or move it 4" back. Or you can move the front hangers. Just be sure both springs are going the same way. It will make you scratch your head if the axle is all misaligned. Trust me.

17. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The center pin on 56" springs is 26" from the front and 30" from the rear.

You can turn the springs around and get 4" more wheel base if you choose, like leper said.

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ah, so I guess the front hanger on trucks with 56's never moved, and the rear hanger did. That's good to know.

19. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

yeah, thanks guys.

20. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hi,

I am pretty sure this is on topic. 1. Why do the shackle flips need to get swapped form side to side for 56" springs? 2. Leper, I don't understand. 4" springs, plus 4" shackle flip equals 5" of lift? Is that becasue of the long shackle?

Basically, I have 6" springs in the front and a 4" shackle flip in the rear. Since I need to get 2" springs in the back, I figured I might as well get some that are longer with longer shackles, but after reading this, I am a little confused as to whether I need rear springs with more arch, like 4" just to get 6" overall.