Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" spring swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bshewmaker, Jan 14, 2005.

1. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

Allright. I want to do the 56" spring swap for the front. #1 I need to know what this spring comes off of. I've heard off of the rear of the 1st gen. of GM IFS trucks. Is this true? and should it be off of a 4x4 or 2x4 version? B. I need to net 8" of lift. I've read the stock 56" rear springs give you 4" of lift swaped into the front. So, if that is correct, I need a 4" lift spring from a 88-98 gm truck. If this is not correct , somebody please point it out. #3. How far forward is this going to push my axle? No fender triming yet, will if needed. is it going to push it way out of center of the wells? #4. I know you have to run cross-over, but I have not heard anybody say if they run hy-steer. Just wondering how much forward can the axle be moved with out the drag-link making contact with the hy-steer tierod?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

88-98 trucks had 63" rear springs. I THINK that the 56's were on 73-87 1 tons, and maybe 3/4 tons, but I don't know for sure.

3. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

thanks divorced.

4. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

as far as I know you will need 3/4T or 1T springs pre-88, like divorced said. You can fab lower spring hangers but it's probably easier to do the 4" lifted rear springs like you are planning.

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I dont know exactly how long the springs are but if they're as long as i think this is what i would do. Make a good solid bumper and make some 4" drop hangers, that'll get your 8" of lift, i know you can flip the spring around 4" more of wheelbase. You could also just order some 56" long 4" lift springs from ORD.

Later