Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" spring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Aug 10, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

so im taking off the rear 56" spring of my 88 3/4 ton sub and its in pretty good condition. and i have a 88 1/2 ton that needs a face lift. im already lifting the 3/4 ton to put some 41" iroks under it. its kinda like my show/fun truck (show because im in high school) hey you gottat pick up country girls some how. :rolleyes: right? anyways i have my previous 1/2 ton sub. the running one. that i would like to put new axle shafts in. maybe some 37's and i want to do a cheap suspension lift. so i was thinking i would go ahead and do a spring swap. put the 56" in front. so first question. what do i need? how high will it lift? i have a 56" in the rear already so what how do i lift the rear? and is the flex really that different compared to a standard lift kit? just curious.

2. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

how can you have so many rigs and be in high school:screwy: :D

3. 88-3/4t-bad boy

i have a frugal grandfather who never sells a thing. i work for him over the summer... all summer. and he gave me a running bada$$ 1/2 ton.. but it was from utah around the park city ski area so the rust was a problem. so basically a couple thousand dollars of back braking labor. (farm/ranch) in the 100+ texas weather and you get your self a rusted sagging suburban. :rolleyes:
    then the next summer i started living with them and i discovered the 3/4 ton in a field. :D asked him if i could work for it. and he said that there was no use for it... i mean. i doesnt run. power steering pump is shot. dents. scrapes. and all that goodness. no dash. holes in the headliner. mice living in it. all that. so i towed it up to the house of course and started fixing it. now it needs some more things but i bought a lift and a new exhaust and started working on it. so now im putting the lift on it and want the other to be my kind of rock rig. more into trucks than video games. :D so yeah. i guess you could say im lucky to have a frugal and controlling grandfather. he even has a damn 1 ton firetruck. i want it so bad!

4. 88-3/4t-bad boy

i got another question. im putting the six inch lift on the 3/4 ton now. the instructions tell me to grind the front driveshaft area like 1/8 of an inch for clearance. is that all i have to do? do i need a t-case drop for it or will that help the vibration?

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

where in texas you located?

56's net 4-5" of lift. you will need to relocate the front spring mount, and extend the shackle. a few people here have 56's up front. They are much more flexy than lift springs. And with 56's you will need crossover steering and a 2wd steering box unless you want minimal clearance and wide turning radius.

6. 88-3/4t-bad boy

i live in south texas in victoria. and about how much is the crossover steering and 2wd steering box?:confused:

7. balterbuilt

they are probably talking about in the yoke so the u-joints don't bind. I think everyone has to do it if your rig flexes, just start grinding a little at a time then jack up one side to flex it and make sure you can spin it all the way around by hand without binding. you don't need much clearance, "missed it by and inch, missed it by a mile" my Dad always says:-)

8. 88-3/4t-bad boy

do i need a t-case drop for it not to vibrate? and how much does it lower it?

9. balterbuilt

t-case drops usually lower your drivetrain about an 1" or 1.5". I don't like them, you probably wont need it. For a 6" lift you will probably need to lengthen your rear driveline, you might be ok if it's on your suburban. I don't like t-case drops.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the t-case drop helps rear angle and hurts the front angle. u will be fine with a burban, prolly wont need to lengthen any shafts.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, if its mainly for show, just use lift springs. 52s/56s are only really "cheap" swaps if you already have crossover steering and hella long brake lines. Otherwise, it ain't cheap at all. I'd recommend just getting a set of BDS front lift springs. In the rear, use a shackle flip. Cheaper than new springs and better for flex too.

j

12. balterbuilt

he makes a good point, I automatically think of worst case wheeling scenarios. But if it's a "show rig" or just a cruiser and wont get wheeled then just do it on the cheap with some big ass lift springs. Superlift skyjacker rough country, all are good brands. Who cares about front driveline angle if the t-case NEVER GETS SHIFTED.

13. 88-3/4t-bad boy

not exactly. we have a ranch in west texas just before the pan handle. i was just going to put one sub out there for the rocks. and everything else. thats why i was doing this. i dont have a show truck. thats not really my style. i have the 3/4 ton that im bout to put 41's on. thats my dd/weekend wheeler. i was just wondering how much it would cost? it wouldnt be like this week. but something later on. two rigs gets you a little loopy. who in the world said any of them were for show in the first place? if i wanted a show truck i would have got a newer truck. i wanted this truck because of the solid axles and the dents. that way i can beat the hell out of it and not care. the 41's are for mud. not show. mud is all you really have in south texas.... wait now that i look back i did. oops i didnt mean it was really a show truck.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  14. balterbuilt

???

15. 88-3/4t-bad boy

yeah. the fun part should have been wheelin. the girls are the little added extra. my bad. :o i didnt mean that completely. ive got plans for this truck. and its not tv screens and 22's. so yeah. just want to clear that up. wat can i say. small town girls like big a$$ trucks. no matter what.