Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56" springs in back?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

56\" springs in back?

There is a 2wd 3/4 ton sitting at my work with no rear(I stole it a while ago), I'm thinking maybe I should steal the 56" springs as well. Whats the location of the center pin compared to factory 52s? Anyone got pics of their 56" setup? Remove a leaf or two from the pack? Right now I have the stock 52s with flipped overloads and going to do homegrown shackle flip. I'm thinking I should use an ORD flip kit and relocate the spring mount a few inches back to make up the length difference.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 56\" springs in back?

i believe that from the front to the pin they are the same like this
    52"____.____
    56"____.______

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If thats so I guess I will do it. Will mean another $200 in my budget but hey its only freaking money. K5 is definetally being pushed into the realm of becoming a full time toy.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I hope there like that because I was thinking of doing the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Both springs have the same distange from center pin to the front of 26". It is in the rear half that the 56" springs are longer. One of the guys in our club runs 56" springs. He did it first on his k5 with a ORD shackle flip moved back and new holes drilled in the frame. I think he swapped the bracket side for side to move it back some as well. If you have access to the vehicle and want to save yourself some money grab (like it is that easy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) the front rear spring hanger and bolt it onto your frame as a shackle flip bracket. You will just have to measure to make sure you get the lift you want and a good shackle angle.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Already buying an ORD flip off a member.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i did this swap awhile back. it doesnt droop as well as id hoped. I swapped sides with the ORD shackle brackets. and moved them back like 1-1/2 inches i think.. if i had it to do over again i wouldve only moved the shackles back 3/4 to 1 inch and, got some longer shackles, to get a better shackle angle..... thats where im losing droop i think. plus i have bad axle wrap so youll need a Axle wrap bar....

8. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

You dont want longer shackles - that will axle wrap worse and destroy the passenger side spring in no time. Trust me I speak from experience on that one. I just turned the springs around and moved the front hangers forward on my suburban so it didnt affect my departure angle.

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I used the 57" Ford's on mine. Although no two trucks are the same, if you install the ORD shackle brackets on the opposite side they are designed for, it will locate your shackle aboutabout 2" farther back than stock. IMO, with a stock shackle and the 56" springs, your shackle angle will be nearly perfect.

I did this initially w/ the 57's and my shackle was basically horizontal and my springs were still pulled up on the ends. I moved my shackle brackets back another 2" on the frame (4" total from stock)and i'm extremely happy w/ my shackle angle now and my springs are nice and flat.

[​IMG]

Hope this gives you some help!!

Lance