Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56inch rear springs instead of 52s, has anyone done this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Jan 28, 2003.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone had put 56inch springs in place of the 52s? I dont want to use the 57 fords, they are to soft for what I want. I was wondering if I could just flip sides with my ORD flip kit and gain enough length so I dont have a severe shackle angle? also I want to keep the stock shackle. The frame on my truck is bobbed to about an inch behind the shackle so I cant move the hangers back much. or should I just stay with the 52s? anyone have pics?
    Thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One of the guys in our club put the 56's in his blazer. He did it by moving the ORD shackle flip backwards and drilling some new holes. He said he tried it first just swapping sides and that the shackle was at too much of an angle (he had a hard time even bolting it up). If you swapped sides and moved it back 1" I think you would be set.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running 56's on the back of my K10. I just swapped the ORD hangers side to side, but when I swap my bed for a better one, I will probably move them back an inch or two. I'm running the stock shackles. It has awesome droop and at full stuff, it bows the springs up but the spring does not hit the hanger. It would work better with longer shackles and keeping the hangers where they are right now.

Oh, yea...I'm running the 56's backwards to move my rearend back 4".

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Do you know what the measurements are from the center pin to the ends? Thanks.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you run them "forward" (like GM does..with the "short" side forward), they are the same distance from front spring eye to centering pin as a 52" spring...about 26". GM just added 4" to the rear portion of the spring.
    52" 26" centering pin 26"
    56" 26" centering pin 30"

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running the 57" F150's. They are very soft. I just got my Jimmy put back together so I cant tell you too much about them, but they are soft and FLEXY!!! I mounted mine backwards, and it moved my axle about 6" backwards.

7. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am presently running 56" rear springs with ORD shackle flip in the standard configuration. I am looking into running them in the reverse configuration so I can move my axle back 3.5"-4". I have only found 2 small problems. The gas tank is in the way and the besides may hit the 42's.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

with my 57's my axle is moved back about 6" and it clears the gas tank. Shock mounting is a pain in the @ss. I am running 38's w/ trimming and they dont hit.

9. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

got any pics?

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Why not flip the flips side to side, and run a lowering shackle. I think that may help you out.