Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56's installed, well almost (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by white-rhyno, Oct 17, 2004.

1. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

56\'s installed, well almost (pics)

Got almost done installing my 56's. Got far enough to drive it home anyway. Need some advice as what to do on the front hanger. Im sure it needs a little more bracing.
    There are two leaves and the overload missing out of that pack. It sat down ALOT lower than what i had expected. I think ill throw one of my old BDS leaves back in there. I have a lot to finish so dont flip me to much $hit.
    Enough talking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: 56\'s installed, well almost (pics)

looks good, bit I think I would try and move that front hanger forwrd more, that spot only really works with the 52's. But I bet they flex like mad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Looks good. You could move the unused brace from behind the body mount to in front of it, but it looks like the winch mount bracket would be in the way.

Are your headers welded directly to the exhaust pipe?

4. white-rhyno

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks good. You could move the unused brace from behind the body mount to in front of it, but it looks like the winch mount bracket would be in the way.

Are your headers welded directly to the exhaust pipe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked real hard at the L bracket, im convinced it wont work. Sick of getting those rivets out anyway....
    Of course my headders are welded directly. I hate leaks and that eliminates that one.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Of course my headders are welded directly. I hate leaks and that eliminates that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool. I have mentioned this as a fix for leaky gaskets but everyone thinks I am crazy. My exhaust doesn't have any clamps, it is fully welded all of the way to the back. The only gaskets are where it bolts to the head; maybe I could weld that too... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

what does this give u for a lift?, how long are the shackels?, also how far does this move the axle forward?
    sorry for all the questions, i just have a spare set of 56's laying around and want to put them in the front

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yo Dog, LOOKS GOOD! I understand more now after seeing the pics what you were trying to describe on the phone earlier. I wonder if you could round up a couple pieces of 4" or 6" angle iron, and move that entier front hanger forward another 2"? You could center your zero-rates if you didn't wnat your axle that far forward, and it would stand your shackles up just a bit more and give you a touch of your lift back probalby. I am sure that Juan can hook you up w/ a few pieces of whatever you need! or just ditch that stock spring mount all together and have Jim or Juan build you a new one out of flat steel that you could mount to your 3 winch mount bolts! That would be sweet.

8. white-rhyno

[ QUOTE ]
    what does this give u for a lift?, how long are the shackels?, also how far does this move the axle forward?
    sorry for all the questions, i just have a spare set of 56's laying around and want to put them in the front

[/ QUOTE ]

For lift? i dunno, not enough currently, could be cause im missing a couple of leaves. Ill let you all know how it turns out next week. Its supposed to be about 4"

My shackles are 7.25" hole to hole.

My axle is about 3.5" forward due to the zero rates, i think its like two without.

My only recomendation would be to try using more leaves.

I like this swap better because you dont have to move the shackle mount forward to get a good angle like you would with the 52's.

Also my front hanger brackets are swaped from side to side. They seemed to sit flatter when bolted up.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i took the entire mount off of mine, zipped the 8 rivets off of the frame, and swapped them side for side, braces and all. i think im going to zip the hangers off of the mount brackets, and andgle the braces a bit. you may be able to work a similar brace in by bolting a piece of flat stock to the mount, and then gusseting it to your winch mount.

isnt the goal of the whole swap to gain flex? if you go adding more leaves to your pack, isnt that defeating the whole purpose of the swap? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Im having the same problem right now in fact my bumper and the bolts are in the exact same place, and I want to run 56s or 52s up front so if you figure it out let me know b/c I really want to run that setup and were did you get your shackle from /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You gain the majority of travel in droop, not in compression. So an extra leaf or two isnt going to affect it that much. I ended up making a new bumper and bumper mount setup when I went with the 52's in the front. It was a total PITA but it works so I dont complain. I've been trying to find a set of 56's for a long time around here but cant find any. I think they should work bitchin but im going to need new brakelines again, and I dont even know if my 14" travel shocks have enough travel for the 56's in their current location. Oh, check out my site for some pictures on how I mounted my bumper. I still need to figure out a way to mount my M10000 up there.

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    were did you get your shackle from /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Brads shackles came from the same place as mine... a machinist buddy made them for us! They are pretty sweet and have the "spacers" built in so that you don't have to add flat steel or washers when you put the rear springs up front, and they are machined from a chunk of 5/8" cold rolled steel.

13. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

damn ive been looking for shackles like that for a while maybe I need to make a trip up there /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. white-rhyno

[ QUOTE ]
    damn ive been looking for shackles like that for a while maybe I need to make a trip up there /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can get another set made MABY, i have no idea on what he would want for $$$ though.

15. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

do they make 2 inch lift 56's?

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can get another set made MABY, i have no idea on what he would want for $$$ though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that if he is going to make more of those that Shane is going to want a set... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. white-rhyno

yea, he did ask a long time ago.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brads shackles came from the same place as mine... a machinist buddy made them for us! They are pretty sweet and have the "spacers" built in so that you don't have to add flat steel or washers when you put the rear springs up front, and they are machined from a chunk of 5/8" cold rolled steel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need spacers anyway. Tim's Offroad has the bushings so that they'll go in and fit...without the use of spacers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need spacers anyway. Tim's Offroad has the bushings so that they'll go in and fit...without the use of spacers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

... but they look really cool w/ the spacers machined into them... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ya and looking good is a priority with our rigs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif