Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56's up front or 52's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Jan 11, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

getting ready to do the long front spring swap. have read 56's might be easier? how so also if you leave the rear mount alone how far will the front axle move forward? i have 52's now, also 7.25" front shackles (thanks whiterhyno!) i have read the posts on moving the front hanger forward 4". also seen the rear moved forward but no specs on how much? say rear is forward 2" so front mount would go forward 6" ? i will be running a 1410 front driveline so any angle problems/ thanks:woot:

2. rubbinz raczn

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've heard previouslly that being the longer after the axle spring setup that 56s allow too much pinion angle change when used in front application. They let the pinion point at the ground more.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im in the same boat as you are. I plan on just using 52s (its what I have on-hand) and moving the front mount forward 4". That will move my front axle forward 2" (help with firewall/tire clearance at full stuff) and give me 4-5" of lift supposedly. I dont see how 56s could be any easier... both involve moving a spring mount and relocating the axle. Seems they require about the same amount of work to me...

j

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I had better see some pics of those pretty shackles on that truck of yours!!!

I still dont see why people think that it is equally hard to put in both the 52's or the 56's.

First off, they both require you to move the front hanger forward right? Ok i understand that. Its a pain. But unless you want your shackles pointed straight up and down (which you might want, depends.) You have to move the shackle mount forward also.
    If you put in the 56's, you dont have to move the shackle mount. That saves a guy some work right there. As far as the longer springs making the pinion move more.... sure i buy that, maby i dont notice it cause my cough cough... shocks are limiting down travel. Personally, id put in whatever you have laying around. I had both 52's and 56's in front of me but, I had to be one up on Poohbair.......

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

You sum b!tch... now you are 3 up on me... Doubler, 42's, and 56's... but I have a cage and can still drive to the trail w/o a ticket (hopefully):grin:

I don't think that w/ the 56's White-Rhyno's pinion angle is and different than mine w/ the 52's???

7. white-rhyno

no what they are trying to say is that my pinion will rotate twords the ground more as it droops. Or at least that is how i understand it.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

rhyno, have you cycled your suspension yet? have you taken note of the pinion angle?

9. white-rhyno

I have cycled it as far as my shocks will allow it for now. Looks great, especially with my 1410 front driveline that is almost 40" long. It would have to rotate ALOT to bind. Guess that is the benefit of moving the axle 3.5" forward, little lift, and a gen I doubler........

10. jekbrown

but some people didnt move the rear hanger with 52s... so again, they look pretty much even in the difficulty department.

j

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

your right but then you wouldnt get the benifits of the front 52s w/ a crappy ass shackle angle

12. white-rhyno

ding ding.... we have a winner

13. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well i have 52s now...and didnt move my shackle hanger...and i need to...the shackles arent at enough of an angle...they come very close to flippin the wrong way...so to fix it im gonna just swap to 56s up front and install my new 7.25 shackles from brad...:D less work with the 56s.........

14. rubbinz raczn

so stock front springs are 48' right? 52's have spring pins in center of leaf 26". if you move front hanger forward 4" that makes room for the extra 4 inches of spring. since stock front is 24" to center the 52" spring (26" to center) will give you 2 extra inches. so with 56" springs the eye to center is 26" on one end and 30" on the other end iirc? so if you left the rear shackle alone,the rear of spring would be just like the 52" swap! axle 2 inches forward. the front would be 30 inches. 6 inches more than the stock 48 inch spring. plus the 2 inches additional from the back so were talkin the front mount has to move forward 8 inches. or say you turn the the spring so long part is towards rear. axle would move forward 6 inches. still gotta move the front mount forward 8 inches! i was looking at my front frame rails and 4-5 inches movement of the spring hanger is max without extending the frame. hey whiterhyno how did you do the 56" swap on your truck? anyone else done this? thanks.:grin:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yes, 56's have the extra 4" on the back side... that it is why the swap is the same as the 52's except that you don't have to move the shackle to get alot of shackle angle... that is what white-rhyno and I have been saying in the last 9328475290387509843275092387 of these posts about the 52 vs 56 debate...

16. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Not meaning to hi jack, but i just got some springs from a member, and they are supose to be 52 inches eye-to-eye, correct? these springs arent under the blazer yet and i measured them eye-to-eye, and they were like 48.5-49, so i am wondering if they will compress another three inches when i put them under the front of my blazer or if they arent the 52 inch rears? Thanks for the help.
    cory

17. rubbinz raczn

sounds like you have a set of stock length front springs. if they have much arch they are probably lift ones, if not stock ones.

18. jekbrown

so what am I missing here. If the 52s are 4" longer... and you move the front mount 4" foward won't the shackle be at the same angle it was before the swap? this seems like something Im going to have to trial and error myself. no big deal, my rig isnt my DD anyway. :grin:

j

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Picture

[​IMG]