Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

56's vs 52's out back...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

how much better are the 56's in back with a flip over the 52"s? is it a substantial gain in flex?

guess i might check out a price from Deaver or somebody on some 2" 56's.. bet thats gonna be $500.. be hard to squeeze that in the budget.. :(

Tim, any line on such a beast?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive had both with a 4 inch shackle flip ORD style. And i didnt notice much of a difference if any at all.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if your going bigger go 88-up 64" springs. just a idea. i did it.

4. ryoken

cool, thanks... :thumb:

well, that just pushed me back toward just getting TC 52"s in 2" and being done with it... best on my wallet too... :whistle:

5. Silver84k5

A word of caution... I seem to have horrible axle wrap with the 56"s back there, im first going to try flipping the over load back over and see if that helps, If not then im going to have to fab up a anti wrap bar. Im not sure how 52" 2 inch lift springs are going to act... hopefully you dont have a problem with it... should be fine.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They flex really well. I gained over a foot of travel. You will not be able to use shocks in anything resembleing stock locations. You will need custom mounts and longer shocks to accomodate the travel. silver84k5, what shock set up are you running?

7. ryoken

any pics on that? how are the street manners of a setup that long?

8. sweetk30

i looked at your profile and is this for the blazer? if so it might not fit. and the dd i have is 88-up it has 5 leaf packs and 1 extra for the trailer added. and it rides like a car my mother said. but i havent finished the 77 k30 with them in it yet. hopfully by spring. i can get pics on tuesday for you. thay are in the frame and its at work.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just beware with such long springs it will be tight under a blazer, but also since they are so long the shackles will be land anchors:D

10. ryoken

yeah, i bet its a sick flexing setup but for my Blazer its probably a bit much..

the other thing i'm keeping in mind is it is my DD, so it can only be down 2 or 3 days.. i don't mind shock and hanger relocation for a 56, but i have to keep it sane.. i'd really like to do the 56's.. can't believe a 2" spring is available in 52, but not 56...

as it sits now, my choices seem to be 4" flip with 2" 52 spring for 6 to go with 5 up front OR a 2 1/2 flip with 4" 56 spring for 6 1/2 in back... hmmmmm :thinking:

11. sweetk30

go cheep way and save for later and go have fun .

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I got the 56's out back with a shackle flip and I noticed a huge difference, they flex alot more than the 52's ever could :)

13. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

you sed its for a blazer so the 6 1/2 might not be bad if it has the saggy bum

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Paul, you could always just get the 4" lift for the 56's, and take a few leaves out until you get the desired height?

15. ryoken

well, after rethinking and with the testimonies to the flex i'm headed back in that direction... little concerned about the 6 1/2 being a tad much. but i hadn't thought of pulling a leaf.. that leaves alot of options open for down the road. kudo's, good thought..

the other thing i'm wondering is if the 2 1/2 flip will be a tad more more stable than the 4 when it comes to towing my boat.. i know the debate on flips and towing , but i'm only towing maybe 2000 lbs, so i'm not overly concerned either way..

i think 4" TC 56's on a 2 1/2 flip out back with 4" EZ's (not HD) and a 0 rate up front on HD shackles... 6 1/2 and 5, maybe throw a 1" body in later if needed.. should work out with 36 Iroks and flex decent i would think...

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, thats whats making me kinda avoid longer springs in the rear right now. I don't have to bad o' axle wrap with my 52s right now and they flex well enough. Axle wrap sucks. Im to poor to do 4 link though, maybe someday. I think custom shackles with some spherical joints (REs, JJs) in them might make for some good flex and keep the wrap down, but I haven't had a chance to experiment yet. I have two large RE joints coming for free (won 'em) so maybe I'll try it...

j

17. Silver84k5

I unhooked the shocks and flexed it with a fork lift.. that was almost 2 years ago though, so maybe im just used to it... Dont get me wrong it does flex, but it didnt seem to flex all that much better then the 52"s... Guess you can try both setups. Its not like its hard or expensive.

oh and by the way. i have Rancho 9012's in stock locations, and they bottom out about an inch or so before the Springs... I can guesstimate my shackle angle to be kicked back about 2 inches from being straight up and down.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

road manor are fare with ashackle flip and 56's in the rear, I did notice a decent amount of body roll, but I am not running shocks in the rear yet.

drives like a flipin caddy:D

19. sweetk30

these are pics of the 64" 88-up spring swap. and there is a pic of the frt hanger and rear flip kit hanger 4" ord part and side shoot of rear setup with 2" block to level out truck. and a shot threw the gas door at were the frt hanger center line is about . the springs are 1 ton 5 leaf and are 88-up style.

Attached Files:

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just tossing out an idea, but one reason some people who have gone from stock 52s to 56s and noticed huge gains in flex might be because their stock 52s were crusty as hell from 20 years of use and the 56s they swapped in where cleaned up 'n' stuff. maybe?

j