Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57" F-150 spring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jun 11, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

57\" F-150 spring question

I currently have 4" rear blocks in the rear and recently found a busted leaf in one of the rear spring packs. I finally have a good excuse to rid myself of the blocks and get flexier rear springs.

I plan on using the front spring hanger off a half ton Chev as a rear shackle mount and i want to use the 57" long F-150 rear springs. My question is what years should I be looking for on the springs? Are any years much better than others?

Rene

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: 57\" F-150 spring question

Not sure exactly on the years. All I know is your looking for 57" springs, 2.5" wide, 4 leafs plus over-load, with center pin 25" from the front. Mine came from a u-pull-it off a bare frame (easy access /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif). Roughly late 80's.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

86-96,2.5 wide,4 leaves + an overload /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

Thanks Russ. I guess I'll be heading up to the local Pick-a-Part /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

Edit...thanks Chris!

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

86-96 F-150's, 2 or 4wd, 2.5" wide (careful as some came w/ 3" wide springs /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ), measure 57" eye to eye along arch, 25" from front eye to center bolt, 32" from center bolt to rear eye

Ideal pack has 4 teflon padded leaves and 1 overload. Some have 3 teflon padded leaves and 1 overload. These can be used, but you'll just have to make another leaf from your old chevy's to make up for the missing one. Use a minimum of 6 leaves in the finished pack. Don't add blocks in conjunction w/ these springs cuz they're just too flippin' soft.

Marv

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I second what Marv said. I had the 4 leaf pack springs and ended up keeping 3 of them as well as mixing them with 2 stock k10 springs to get the right lift plus an overload. I redrilled mine at and inch further from the front than stock to center my axle back in the wheel wells (stock springs left it sitting forward after the shackle flip).

7. tRustyK5

So if I find a 4+overload pack I should still add at least one of my leafs to the pack for 6 total?

Borrego...I was planning on redrilling the 57's after measuring the stock GM's i have now. Did you just redrill the main leaf and reassemble or did you redrill all of them?

Rene

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You might not be able to use the front hanger with that long of a spring. It will depend on bumper hole location. I was going to use a set with the 56" ones but just eyeballing it it was not going to work.

9. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It will depend on bumper hole location.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No bumper brackets on my truck... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I got lots of room! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I only redrilled the main leaf. Be prepared to take the pack apart a few times and try combinations of the leafs before you lock everything down. You'll really like the ride, espacially on a light back end.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why get the F150 springs if you have to add leaves and drill a new center pin hole? If you get a newer set of 56" 3/4-ton leaves you won't have to drill holes in them and they come with many thin leaves so all you have to deside is how many leaves to take out.
    They should cost you the same, be less work, and flex just as well. Is there something I'm missing?

Anyway if you are going to do all the work to move the rear hanger why not just move the front one too and go 63" springs?

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I forgot to add to the list against the f150 springs. You can't move the axle back any more then stock because the hole you drilled will be outside the u-bolt plate.

13. marv_springer

ok, a few quick points here:

Mike, ... I'm concerned about 2 things you said. How far back did you drill the new hole? Like Dan mentioned, the old hole needs to remain in the "clamped" area of the U-bolt or after many flexing cycles the leaf will break ! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Also, the first time I did it, I tried drilling just the main leaf. I found that the rest of the pack being moved back put a lot of load on the front part of the main leaf. When you get it really stuffed on that side - you can really start to twist up that main leaf. I recommend to drill the whole pack....

Rene... 6 leaves in the final pack does not include the O/L. Don't use the O/L if your lift is 4", include it if you want more like 5 or 6", but install it upside down. One note: you can ditch the whole re-drilling thing and get to 6" of lift easier with an ORD zero rate. Then you could use the 1.5" difference hole - but the finished effect would only be moving your axle back 0.5"...

Dan... yes you are missing something. The F-150's are waaaayy soft compared to 56" GM's. I think you'll get plenty of flex with your "long as they come" 64's - but you can't compare the flex you'll get with the 56's to the F-150's.

... hope I've helped!

Marv

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Are these lift figures for a Springer style suspension or stock type without shackle flip? Just curious. Now you have me thinkin! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. marv_springer

The lift #'s would be based on my setup w/ a "flipped" shackle.... I'm sure a "cut out" flip would be very comparable in height.

Marv

16. BadDog

Yeah, Marv is right about the F150s flexing better. I had a set of the ‘85 56" springs and took all but 4 leafs out (tried different combos too). The F150s still flex way better.

17. tRustyK5

Hmmm...I could turn em backwards and move the front hanger to get the axle any location I want. You mention the 56ers but again I have to remove and swap leafs. 63's would be cool, but much harder to find on my budget. There are a ton of old Fords in our local pick-a-part. All the IFS style Chevy's are not as plentiful in the yards.

Mostly, if Marv says they're soft I'm there...from what I see he knows his springs and suspension.

Rene

18. tRustyK5

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input...for or against the 57" F-150 springs. Info like this is invaluable and can't be gotten anywhere else! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

19. rocnwilly

rocnwilly 1/2 ton status

has anyone tried the Rancho springs for the F-150 or are you using the stock ones? what year f-150 are you using the springs from.
    TIA

20. BadDog

Be careful turning an asymmetrical spring backwards. You'll get pinion arc (due to long front side bending more than back) around the axle C/L and an axle that swings sort of down and away from the case with severe droop/articulation (pivoting around the rear eye). Obviously this is a bit of an exageration since the rear shackle comes into play, but the effect is there. However, I think I've dealt with that on mine. With the Springer arm in the back, that should make it behave effectively as if it were a long symmetrical spring. Basically the arm will swing down when the short side starts coming up short allowing the axle to arc around the front eye as it ideally should. There could still be some pinion arc but I'm adding a traction bar setup to help keep the pinion located in the right position on acceleration AND droop. Just something to think about.