Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57" Ferd springs, and 6" shackles on factory rear hangers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 23, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

57\" Ferd springs, and 6\" shackles on factory rear hangers

Well, had to replace my 52s after snapping a main leaf late last season and found that the junkyard replacement I slapped in that day has a different rate than the opposite side... SO I had a set of 57s in the garage anyways and decided to install them.

Once they were in the truck, and we set her back down, those damn 57's flexed nearly flat (measuring 57" from eye to eye) and swung my 6" long shackles all the way back where they can now be found sitting parallel to the ground the truck sits on. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to relocate the hangers for this upgrade? I thought I could just install them... but I now know differently.

One of my possible solutions is to rig a springer/azzkickin-esk deal to account for the extra lenth. Not really sure how that would work though, so I am a little skeptical of that idea.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks all,
    -Dan

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 57\" Ferd springs, and 6\" shackles on factory rear hangers

I always thought that you had to move the shackle back some.

Do the new springs have the overloads on them?

3. KRAZIE87K5

I'm not certain if they have overloads on them or not... can't remember too well as I slapped them in at about 2:30am on Sunday morning... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Have to move the hangers huh... DAMN. That might be a deal breaker for me. Maybe its off to the yard for another set of used 52s? Is there anything I can do to use these 57s??

-Dan

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't have the setup on my truck but every 57" setup I've seen has the shackle moved back(not the hanger, the shackle). If I were you I would just get some of the Azkickin doohickey's or maybe conjure up your own if ya can weld. IMO it's worth it to make the 57s work since they make some insano flex and, hell, you already got the springs! Keep in mind though you might have to modify the bumpstops so the springs don't get messed up when they're compressed and install an anti-wrap bar of some sort to ward off wheel-hop...good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I was told that if you were running the ORD flip then you would need to switch sides on them and MAYBE move them back a touch. I KNOW they won't work in the factory position...

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I think you could get away with it if your truck is a K20 or K30 with the 56" springs. but i cant see it working in a blazer or half ton without moving the shackle hanger.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes, they do have the overloads on them...the damn things went nearly flat.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yep, you need to move the shackle hanger back atleast 1 1/2" inches.

I used Echobit's bolt-on shackle flip. I had to weld these in place, as my 57"s (four leaf pack + overload) moved the bolt-on piece back too!

Echobits, can be mounted with the bolt hole in stock location or they mount 2" back.

I am running 2" lift shackles, and these sit at a 35 degrees from the top to the bottom pointing backwards.

BTW: I bent the driver's side spring already.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think these springs are too soft.

Good luck.

9. KRAZIE87K5

Well that I am excited to hear about! I know they bend/break pretty easily... but I'll have fun with them until then! At which point, I think I'm going to link in the rear.

BTW all... I just realized that the Borrego hangers are installed (and welded) for the 52" springs! I have to pull them out, and flip them to see where it will place my shackles afterwards! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I still don't think it will move far enough, but we'll see!

-Dan

10. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Can you post a pic so we can see what is going on with your springs? There might be a way to fix your problem if you have the echobit flip already on your rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told that if you were running the ORD flip then you would need to switch sides on them and MAYBE move them back a touch. I KNOW they won't work in the factory position...

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, thats what i had to do.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe its off to the yard for another set of used 52s?
    -Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm choppin up a pickup frame, it still has the rear leaf packs, the mains are good but several of the other are cracked. Jeremy gets first dibs, if he doesn't want them your welcome to them.

I'm curious about using a 56" main leaf and a 52" spring pack. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

is the truck level? if it is, there may not be a big problem... however, you don't want the shackle be able to go completely flat, so if the measurement from the front mount to the shackle eye at it 90 degree point is 57 or less, then you should do one of 3 things.

1) move the hanger back
    2) go to a longer shackle (but longer than 6 is getting pretty long... though i've seen much worse /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )
    3) when you go to the junk yard, skip searching for the 52's and go for 56's. the chevy mainleaf is a bit thicker than the ford.

I thought I wanted to go with the 57's, until i saw my buddy bend a mainleaf in the first 20 minutes after we installed his Springer setup. I decided to go with a 56 inch pack from a CUCV pickup. I removed every other leaf from the pack to make it flex, flipped the overload and cut up another overload i had on hand for a bit of additional lift (like a zero rate but not as tall). After installed it did much the same as what you describe... it sits near flat at rest. But I also installed a shackle flip by using the front spring hanger from another truck. I installed the hanger to the frame such that the shackle when laid flat back is an inch longer than my main leaf.

Most people that see my resting shackle angle think it is laid back too far, but since my spring is near flat, i don't see it as a bad thing. I think my setup is working rather well for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Check out my album in the sig to see some of my results...

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

No the truck sits way down in the back. With the 52's it was level, but the 6" shackle (this thing is BEEFY BTW) was about 50 degrees...so he was getting another 2" or so lift from the shackle. It wasn't just the shackle angle that got me worried though, it was the flatness of the spring. I can see why people break the damn things. Springs aren't made to flex up past flat...I agree with you on the 56's or something different. Our trucks are just too heavy for fords I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. KRAZIE87K5

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be able to flip the Borrego flips to the opposite sides, effectively moving the shackle back ~2". This should be enough to fix the shackle angle, no?

-Dan

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Try a longer shackle?

I think this is about the angle...
    [​IMG]

17. KRAZIE87K5

That shackle is already 6" long... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I will be able to flip the Borrego flips to the opposite sides, effectively moving the shackle back ~2". This should be enough to fix the shackle angle, no?

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what worked for me...

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That would give you a 5" lift... Right?

The raw flip is 2" flus a 4" shackel / 2 = 2"

So a 6" shackle /2 = 3" lift + 2" flip = 5"

So you're still going to sit low in the rear... compared to your 6" front springs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

He has zero rates in back IIRC.

The Echobit flip with stock shackle gives 5 3/4" of lift though, I imagine with his shackle he's at 7" or so plus the zero rate, so 8" of rear lift, but blazers are ass heavy so it turns out level. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif