Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57" ford springs again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 19, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

57\" ford springs again

I got my 57's and about ready to do the swap. The problem is they are 3 inches wide and my 52's are 2.5 inches. Now I know you can get a shackle to accomodate the rear (not sure where from yet do you?) but what about the front. How do I put a 3" wide spring in a 2.5" wide spring hanger???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: 57\" ford springs again

I believe the 57's that everyone is using are 2.5" wide and from an early 80's F150. I don't think the 3" wide ones are the ones being used.

Just curious, how does the center pin position compare to the Chevy springs?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they are the same for pin to eye and eye to eye, just a 1/2" wider. you gonna make your own spring plates??

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I dont know yet. I am confused. I git some off a 80's bronco and some off of a 74 f100. Both are 57 from spring eye to spring eye and both are 3 inches wide?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you grabbed them off of a 4x4 instead of the desired 2.5" wides found on 2wd's.

if you can modify your front rear spring hanger the 3's would probably hold up longer then the 2.5's tend to.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I got some 3" ford 57" springs. Not installed yet, but I did notice that the spring hangars on the ford I got them from are very similar if not identical to the ones we have on our chevy's. I was thinking of going back to the JY and grabbing the front and rear hangars to use on the chevy. Hopefully I can get there this week. I guess the important measurement would be from the frame to the center of the spring? I'll report back if/when I find out.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Would the springs out of a custom f-150 (thats what the emblem thing says on it) work? The truck is dead out in the yard anyway. I haven't measured the springs because I keep losing the tape measure. I'll try to take some pics tomororw so I can get some additional help with year and whatnot.