Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

57" Ford Springs and ORD and other questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Jan 3, 2003.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

57\" Ford Springs and ORD and other questions

Well, I'm getting ready to take my K5 to the next level........I currently run a 2 1/2" lift with ORD "Flip". I'd like to put 35" Pizza cutters on(Not sure which tire). And while I'm at it the 57" Ford spring sound like a good deal(read flexy). What I'm wonderin is will they work with a "zero rate" AAL? This is to move the centering bolts in the 57's to match the GM's front eyelet to centerbolt distance. I surely could use the extra lift! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Did anyone use a 57" Ford that is a lift spring? Meaning, buy a new F150 2 1/2" lift spring!

To make the 35's fit, I don't mind taking the Sawzall to the fenders as this is a beater truck anyway! Do I need to go with a 4" lift or can I get away with a little Sawzall artistry?

How much grinding is necessary on a 3/4T D44 calipers anyway to fit 15" rims? And what is the widest tires you can put on the stock 6.5" stock steelie rims? I really like the OEM look.

One last question.....I currently run a set of BFG Muds...Are there any SuperSwampers that will equal the threadlife of the BFG's? I currently have about 15,000 on them and there just about spent!

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been here in a dogs age.

2. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

Re: 57\" Ford Springs and ORD and other questions

put on a four and do it correctly. im doing a four inch lift too.

do it once do it right /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I here Ya on the correct way......4" springs in the front but I'm not sure what to do with the rear as I already have a 2 1/2" ORD "Flip" and I want to go with the 57" Ford's for the rear. The question is leveling out the K5?.....and centering the axle in the wheelwell.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm hanging them on my truck, using the shackle flip and longer shackles from Echobit, I'm not adding any blocks and will end up with 4-1/2".

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Ron, I am using the Ford 57" springs with a twist. I have some pictures in my photo album (1983 GMC Jimmy - last 4 pictures) and you can get to them by going to "Cool Stuff" in my signature line.

I am also using the ORD 2.5" shackle flip but have them turned around backwards and replaced in the original factory holes. I had the springs re-arched with additional 2" of lift and a extra leaf added to the spring pack. Untill I have some weight back on the frame its to early to know the results. I also have made spring perches with additional height (2") that will be trimed down to level the truck after everything is put back together. They are clamped to the axle untill later and then they will be welded in place and the clamps removed.

I forgot to mention that I also turned the springs around backwards to move the axle toward the back of the truck by 4".

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

k5ron,

Just posted about the same issue to interceptor on the caliper grinding. I did remove material from the brackets but read NONE from the caliper. I use 15x10 Eaton wheels from National Tire and Wheel, and they do not rub. Cant remember the backspacing but I did call their tech line and told them what I was doing and they recommended a specific wheel. The clearance is very close, a little scary looking but they do not interfere.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

look at this setup, he even has video of it mudding...

57" springs

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

74Chev, do you have pic's of what you did, and were is the post you did?

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

if your doing the 57 shackle flip your gonna get more than 4.5

and if you drill your spring pack 1.5 back you cant move your axle back any further... just flip your axle around backwards and get 4 inches back... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Don't have any pics but I will try to describe it. I ground the brackets mainly on the tops where the caliper meets the bracket. The whole story is I originally ground the calipers without first checking clearance because I was just sure the wheel wouldn't fit but after grinding and checking I realized it was the tips of the bracket that were hitting. When I put on a new set of loaded calipers and switched to my off road tires later in the year they slid right on, no grinding??

11. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info and links!!!!!! Ya know, I HATE this forum but in a GOOD kind of way. When I first discovered this forum I had a "Plain Jane", bone stock, K5. After about a month or so on this forum......out goes the 305, 700R4, and the ten bolts....In goes a crate 350, SM465, HD44 and a 14BFF w/ discs, lift(2 1/2") and shackle flip!! I hate this forum! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif(Read I actually LOVE this forum!!) Now to find a set of 57's and order the 4" for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Happy new year,

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Checked out your site.......Nice Ride!! Pretty inpressive anti-wrap.....This K5 of mine is more of a "Home-grown" project. Actually the wife calls it BUB, for B-ig U-gly B-lazer. Thanks for the info, I bookmarked your site.

13. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Ya know, Eatons are the only wheels besides the OEM that I actually like!!! No offense to thoise who have white spokes but unless you paint them....they remind me that they should be on a circus wagon. Then there's Dudes who get the wrong offset and especially on a Jxxp they stick out kinda looking like a Lowrider. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I made these up for the new springs, the offset hole fits the 57's and the center is stock...

[​IMG]

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

a guy down in m,arysville by me sells those axle plates for 20 bucks :0)

16. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I like that idea better than drilling the leafs as they are harder than trying to get dog snot from a doorknob! Do you sell them or just fab them for your own use. Machining looks superb!